Sign in to follow this  

Broke my coolant reservoir

So I was smoking a pork shoulder for work last night and I keep my bike and smoker on the back porch. I was sitting on the seat sideways just watching the smoker do work and I guess somehow my heel hit my coolant reservoir and it broke :busted: . I didn't even hit it hard, I guess it was dry rotted or dried out or whatever but it broke.

1321506538354.jpg

1321506550506.jpg

Now my question. I am debating on just replacing it from the parts store but its $38 for an OEM replacement. I am tossing that idea against the turkey baster mod. Suggestions? In the meantime, can I ride it with it broken the way it is? I have never noticed any coolant in there ever. I guess the bike has what it needs but no extra and it never gets hot enough to really need it thanks to Eddie's manual fan switch. I just don't want to have some lack of vacuum or whatever it has from being sealed and leak all my coolant out. Long story short, can I ride it until I get it fixed?

Ive been riding without mine for the last 6 months and have had no problems. I really do need to do the turkey baster mod though.

i thought my PVC mod turned out pretty good! and it gave me a sweet project for the afternoon!

NfWAs.jpg

It also clears out some clutter and you can see the vibrant color of the spring!

WJKxN.jpg

Ride it until you have time to do the turkey baster mod. The hole is above the level the coolant is likely to get to, but put some tape over the hole so coolant doesn't splash out on your leg. Before riding check that coolant level is at the top in BOTH rads.

As long as you leave some air space in the radiator for expansion it will be fine and will not even blow any coolant. Replace the broken catch tank (or not) any time you feel like it with whatever you like. The catch tank just recycles the coolant in the event of minor overheating.

I run with broken coolant reservoir for sometime as i was on trip when it broke but i had covered the hole with wonder tape to prevent dirt from going in. After, i made the turkey baster, great mod! Cheap and more visible when you are on the bike. Some coolant should be there, you need to fill your radiator or haven't noticed it because of its position.

I put some gorilla glue tape over the hole this morning and went on as usual. I did check the level of the coolant in the rads this morning and it was good to go. It is only 46*F this morning so it should be fine. Thanks for the input, I am probably going to do the turkey baster mod soon. I like the subtle things that people don't really notice unless they are looking for them.

i thought my PVC mod turned out pretty good! and it gave me a sweet project for the afternoon!

NfWAs.jpg

It also clears out some clutter and you can see the vibrant color of the spring!

WJKxN.jpg

:busted: nicely done! Forgive me in advance for totally stealing that idea from you for my Deezer!

:busted: nicely done! Forgive me in advance for totally stealing that idea from you for my Deezer!

hey just let me know if you need any more info or more picture on it. im pretty sure i used 3/4 inch PVC, with 2 caps. then i bought brass fitting that have 1/4 inch nipple on them. went to the local hardware store and bought 2 feet of the black (coolant proof) hose that you see coming out of the bottom, then about 6 feet of the clear 1/4 inch tube which i routed under the gas tank, and back where it dumps any overflow out by the rear shock, right in front of my rear tire. At first i was afraid of doing that, but since I never even saw a build up of coolant in the ressy, i figured my tube isnt going to get full enough to dump any coolant out the top either. It just vents air.

It doesn't look as good as Joesters...

thanks! :busted: