Sign in to follow this  

How to start a DR650

Hi, After being accused of trying to sell a DR on here for a friend that passed away, I'll keep this line of questions generic~

My friend that owned a DR650 was killed in a MVA accident a few weeks ago, but not on a motorcycle. he was only 28. His mom has asked me to fix the bike up to give it away, so to speak.

Just trying to get the bike started: If anything, it's a challenge for me to get it started! ; )

The bike: an earlier model DR650, compression release, kickstart only.

I can't get it started either!

*I have pulled the plugs, checked for spark, held the plug wires to see if I could get a jolt, but nothing.

* the bike had ran before it was parked several months ago. The Mom said her son tried to start it, but could not get it started.

*The battery is stone dead! wont' take a charge, but could that keep bike from starting being a kickstarting thumper?

*I pulled the plug in the bottom of the carb to ck for fuel, got fuel on the reserve.

*The kick stand switch has been bypassed, so it's not a kickstand issue.

Anything offered in how to get this bike started would be greatly helpful! ; )

dne'

Edited by Denee Weir
Info

This is the bike. I plan to fix it up, paint the tank back to original and just pretty it up, it's what I like to do since I don't get to ride bikes anymore due to health issues. I don't know how he stopped the bike, it had NO brakes! I bled the brakes and got front/ rear brakes working. So know if I can just get it running! So help!

fb562847.jpg

I have a '90. I have started mine with the battery very low, but not dead. I understand that it can be started without a battery.

So, it gets fuel and has compression? When you kicked it with the plugs out did it spark? I might not jolt you even if it has spark.

Check all the wiring starting with the kill butto, I once kicked mine 10 times before I realized that the Kill button was pushed in.

Thank you Steve! I looked at the kill button, but it's not a toggle switch but just a spring loaded button. I guess I can check it with an ohm meter, may even go ahead and pick up a battery for belong able to check things with a test light. I'll do more today.

Thanks again!!

I have a '90. I have started mine with the battery very low, but not dead. I understand that it can be started without a battery.

So, it gets fuel and has compression? When you kicked it with the plugs out did it spark? I might not jolt you even if it has spark.

Check all the wiring starting with the kill butto, I once kicked mine 10 times before I realized that the Kill button was pushed in.

This may not be easy for you due to health issues but I would try to bump start it. A long paved hill with no traffic would be nice as long as you have some help to get it back to the top if it won't start. Turn the key, fuel and everything on. Pull the choke knob out, etc.Try to get some speed with the bike in 3rd gear and clutch pulled in. From a standing position drop your butt hard on the seat at the same time you open the clutch. Be ready to squeeze the clutch and recover from a skid as if it does not start the back wheel will be locked up.

I'm told that a battery that is "dead enough" can actually provide an impedance and keep the bike from starting. This happened on my KLR250 (kickstart only). It would not crank, even though it was running fine before sitting for a couple of months. Someone told me about the battery, but I didn't believe it. I replaced the battery and it started on the first kick and ran like a top.

the bike had ran before it was parked several months ago

With that said, you should probably stop messing with the electrical, and focus on the probable fuel issue, most likely the pilot jet clogged.

I've had plenty of bikes with completely dead batteries and would still start up just fine. But if you're worried about it then connect a battery charger or jumper cables to a car battery and then kick away.

When I say health issues, what keeps me from riding bikes these days I'd tinnitus(ringing in the ears, mainly from the wind noise, and a tailbone problem. I've had several injections to it and only temporary relief.

Ok, the pilot jet, how do I unstop this? Pull the carb? I did notice no smell of gas on the spark plugs after kicking it over, and over and etc.

It'll run without a battery, so dont let the fact that its flat worry you.

Pull the decomp lever in, slowly push the kickstarter until the lever clicks back out, let the kickstart return to the top and then give it a good kick with all your strength. Repeat this process until it fires, never touch the throttle until it fires. If, after a dozen goes its still not firing, hold the decomp lever and kick it over a few times to clear the combustion chamber, then start again.

New plugs and new fuel will help. On bikes that are really difficult to start, I've sprayed "Easy Start" or even brake cleaner through the intake and that sometimes helps. Personally, I'd make 100% sure there was a spark at the plugs before going much further though.

Good luck

Hi Paul and than you for chiming in. When I had the plugs out, the only way I know how to check for spark is to take the plugs out, hold the spark plug to ground, kick it over and watch for a spark,(kind of difficult) or hold the electrode in my hand and kick it over feeling for a jolt, in doing so, I neither see or feel anything. Do these older bikes have points? Or what would I look for to check? ; )

It'll run without a battery, so dont let the fact that its flat worry you.

Pull the decomp lever in, slowly push the kickstarter until the lever clicks back out, let the kickstart return to the top and then give it a good kick with all your strength. Repeat this process until it fires, never touch the throttle until it fires. If, after a dozen goes its still not firing, hold the decomp lever and kick it over a few times to clear the combustion chamber, then start again.

New plugs and new fuel will help. On bikes that are really difficult to start, I've sprayed "Easy Start" or even brake cleaner through the intake and that sometimes helps. Personally, I'd make 100% sure there was a spark at the plugs before going much further though.

Good luck

These bikes seem to produce quite a weak spark at the best of times, I've found it easiest to do it the way you described, with a plug out and resting against the head, but I tend to do it in a dark garage to make it easiesr to spot!

They dont have points to trigger the spark, but a stator plate fixed to the left-hand cranckcase that picks up a signal from the flywheel. The timing is pretty much unadjustable, you can alter it but its not a simple operation, so it wont (easily) have changed. The stators can and do fail, usually the wiring shorts out at the back, but you actually have to take the stator off the cover to find the problem. You can test the resistance and output of the stator statically (kicking the engine over) using a normal multimeter and a service manual with the readings.

Okeedokie then, I'll recheck it the way you said again but in a darker place. Then maybe take the gas tank off and look for noticeable things, or the obvious, never know!

QUOTE=TallPaul;10818180]These bikes seem to produce quite a weak spark at the best of times, I've found it easiest to do it the way you described, with a plug out and resting against the head, but I tend to do it in a dark garage to make it easiesr to spot!

They dont have points to trigger the spark, but a stator plate fixed to the left-hand cranckcase that picks up a signal from the flywheel. The timing is pretty much unadjustable, you can alter it but its not a simple operation, so it wont (easily) have changed. The stators can and do fail, usually the wiring shorts out at the back, but you actually have to take the stator off the cover to find the problem. You can test the resistance and output of the stator statically (kicking the engine over) using a normal multimeter and a service manual with the readings.