Sign in to follow this  

help: 02 rear brake carrier mod-->01 caliper

I have searched and searched with nothing coming up. Just picked up an 02CR250 with an 01 motor and the guy gave me the complete brake assembly from the 01. I'm in the process of building(on the cheap) an ulimate NE 2-stroke and want to mod the rear brakes to make use of the larger pads.

I'm just trying to find some detailed info about the mod. It appears to me that the forward caliper carrier pin is in the corrent location but with the 01 caliper being longer, I'm going to have modify the position of the rear caliper carrier pin to a new location.

Trying to get info to make this as easy as possible. If not--I'll figure it out and post the results--at some point.

Please help, Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the 250's but the 01-02 125's won't work, I've tried switching swingarms and the carrier on the 02 didn't fit the 01 swingarm. This may not at all be related to the 250, but maybe.

Part numbers don't match:

2001 125 and 250: 52200-KZ4-J30

2002 125: 52200-KZ4-J40

2002 250: 52200-KZ3-J40

I agree that this would be a sweet mod. The earlier caliper is vastly superior to the 02+ style. I have looked into doing this and I have determined 2 possibile solutions. First would be to have a new caliper carrier CNCed which would match the mount of the 02+ swingarm and the slide pin spacing of the earlier caliper. I have found someone willing and able to machine this piece but I would need the interest of several other riders as the cost to run a small number of units would be prohibitive. The other option would be to use the OEM carrier from an 00-01 CR , remove the existing 02 swingarm bracket, and fabricate a new bracket that matches up to the 00-01 carrier and weld it to the 02 swingarm. Another way to accomplish this would be to buy a damaged swingarm from a 00-01 in order to remove the bracket and mount onto the 02 swingarm.

braking makes a rear caliper that is oversized. FYI

Yes I have one of those, uses the <01 style pads and resists overheating much better than the 02+ calipers. The problem with this unit has been keeping the seal around the piston from leaking. Still not as good of a unit as the old pre-02 Nisin.

braking makes a rear caliper that is oversized. FYI

This does not fit into the (building on the cheap).:busted:

I'm going to be beefing up the chainguide hanger on the swingarm so I think the easiest is to fab a new slide bracket that will accept the 01 carrier and slap it on. I have all of the 01 assembly so I'll take some measurements of the width and axel size to make sure this is all the same between the 2 models. If it is--I see this as the easiest alternative.

Report back when I measure things up--unless someone knows for sure.

Great info so far--thanks

Confirmed as well. Thanks

It appears at 1st glance that the 02+ carrier was rotated/located closer to swingarm, obviously the smaller design allows for this. A portion of the carrier is exactly the same design but missing a top portion. Looking at the design, it's sole purpose was to reduce weight. Going to search for a few rear pictures of the 01 model swingarm because it looks like the bracket could be carefully cut off and reposition/modded slightly.

Pretty much explaining the obvious with the design part.

Yes I can confirm that the bracket from the 01 swingarm (I have one) could easily be removed and welded to the 02 swingarm.

Yes, most definitly seems the be the easy route--anybody got a trashed swingarm. HAHA. How long did Honda use the 01 style caliper/brake carrier? I'll pick up a trashed swingarm off EBAY and with a bit of modding should have a some what easy swap.

The carrier will need to be 00-01 as pre 00 had a smaller diameter axle. I would think that the swingarm bracket could be the same for several years prior to 00 but I don't know this for a fact. Try to study pictures on eBay to determine what years will work then hope to find a trashed one to buy cheap.