Sign in to follow this  

What is the best trail bike for road use

Hi all,

Whats the best bike for general commuting, with highway capability.

I was looking at a klx400, your experience and opinions are welcome.

There are a lot of variables to consider, how far a commute? what kind of hiway, 2 lane, 4 lane, any freeway riding? I lived 20 miles from work, 2 lane blacktop, 2 stoplights, one on each end of the commute, for many years speed limit was 55, then it increased to 60mph, I used many sizes of bikes in the 30 years I worked there,(now retired) favorite 1100 goldwing, but for the dual sports, I found 250 to be too light and flighty feeling at speed limit, 350 was OK, but that would be the smallest I would use, If you don't need freeway speed your klx400 choice would probably do well. I would probably go with XR650l, if I needed to commute nowadays, but now I ride my recliner a lot.

"Trail bike for highway" - does that mean for highway AND trails?

If both highway and trails, DR650SE.

If street only, KLR650 or BMW G650GS

KLX400 (same as DR-Z400) is not a great highway bike due to having a too narrow gear ratio.

Yeah, thats sort of a vague question. How much trail and highway will you be riding 80/20 or 20/80? What is your budget? What is your experience level?

The bike will get all road use.

80% Usage will be short trips.

Each weekend I'd like the option to ride it 90km south on the high way to the beaches.

Which trail bikes are ok on the road. So yeah, I guess I should aim for someting over 350. I've heard that some trail bikes need to be serviced more often than road bikes, and so cost more to maintain.

What kind of road? Trail bikes if ridden on the road only, will not require any more maintenance than a road bike. The reason trail bikes usually require more maintenance is that they are ridden in the dirt, thus they get dumped from time to time and require replaced bent & broken parts, straightened, adjusted, cleaned, & more frequent oil changes than a road bike would. If you ride gravel roads as well as paved, I would also recommend trials tires or a semi aggressive tread on your tires.:lol:

The bike will get all road use.

80% Usage will be short trips.

Each weekend I'd like the option to ride it 90km south on the high way to the beaches.

Which trail bikes are ok on the road. So yeah, I guess I should aim for someting over 350. I've heard that some trail bikes need to be serviced more often than road bikes, and so cost more to maintain.

Only the high-performance, race-oriented 4 stroke bikes require more maintenance. Most aren't street legal anyway.

Again, KLR650 or BMW G650GS

with what your doing, go with a klr, bmw, big ktm, or a poor man's bmw, aka vstrom