Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about a 2012 TE250

Any thoughts? I just sold my 07 510SMR that I raced last season. Found out the hard way I need off road experience. Being this is a Husky forum I know you guys are gonna say do it, but do you have any input for me? I'm 5'6'' and a big 125lbs. I hear the 2012 are 2" lower than the 2011. So thats the main reason I want a 2012. And what do you guys think about the 250 vs. the 310? I mainly want the bike blast around the trails with, but I'm sure I'll get wrapped up into some racing. Does anyone know the race classes? Would having a 310 put me in a 450 class? Thanks in advance!

All bikes can be modified to have a lower seat height. Unless you are racing a 250cc class I would look into a TE310. Extra power a for a little $$. At your weight you will need to revalve your suspension and then you can lower it if you want. Racing classes are up to the sanction origination. Locally here it is more based on your age vs. size bike and experience vs. size bike.

The new lower TE250 would be perfect for you for offroad.

It's not really a race bike though. If you're going to track it I would get a TC. If you're going to GP it I would get the TXC.

And yes, over 250 puts you in the open class so there's a real advantage to staying under the 250cc limit.

I just got my 310 and so far it's great bike. Friend is waiting on his 250 now, it's stuck in customs. As far as them not being a race bike, I think Husky missed that memo cause the 310 is on he 250 chassis and it has won numerous races.

The new lower TE250 would be perfect for you for offroad.

It's not really a race bike though. If you're going to track it I would get a TC. If you're going to GP it I would get the TXC.

And yes, over 250 puts you in the open class so there's a real advantage to staying under the 250cc limit.

Hmm motocross track I wont be doing but what do you mean by GP? And whats the difference between the TE and the TXC?

Hmm motocross track I wont be doing but what do you mean by GP? And whats the difference between the TE and the TXC?

Well according to my own research the only difference I can find is the TE is street legal and weights 5 pounds more and is a bit longer, with a lower seat height. Oh and has a different rear tire. So I'm leaning towards the TE.

Road items, EFI programming, tires, suspension, and price. TE does make a great race bike when several changes are done.

Also thinking about the 2012 model w/ lower seat height (me 5' 6", 135 lb). Not many good street legal enduro's out there for guys my size. Liking the fact that the te250 is more than 50 lbs less than comparable Jap enduro's.

Also thinking about the 2012 model w/ lower seat height (me 5' 6", 135 lb). Not many good street legal enduro's out there for guys my size. Liking the fact that the te250 is more than 50 lbs less than comparable Jap enduro's.

Yea we are just about the same size. But now after watching a ton of enduro "how to" videos and what not, I'm thinking the loss of ground clearance will be an issue. Hoping logs, riding over rocks, I think there might be a problem. So now to get the new 250, or just go with a full sized 310. Life is hard...

Not to be a buzzkill to my Husky brethren, BUT........

How stuck on a TE or TXC are you? At your height and weight I would seriously consider a lighter 2 stroke for offroad.

Not to be a buzzkill to my Husky brethren, BUT........

How stuck on a TE or TXC are you? At your height and weight I would seriously consider a lighter 2 stroke for offroad.

I'm not really stuck on anything. But what I definitely want is the lightest possible with a New York plate.

mikuni vs keihin FI is the big difference

Neither the TE's has have the Keihin FI. TXC has the newer 12 hole injector and still uses the Mikuni. Only the TC250 has the Keihin FI.

I'm not really stuck on anything. But what I definitely want is the lightest possible with a New York plate.

Go with the TE310. Better ground clarance especially if you're riding and racing on rutted out trail like in New York state.

The te250 is going to be great for dirt roads and passive maintained trails, but any thing challenging with rock, trees and rutts is going to hit the pegs, shift and brake levers as well as the frame cradle.

This is a biggy. Otherwise I'd be suggesting a WR 125/144 or analagous KTM.

This is a biggy. Otherwise I'd be suggesting a WR 125/144 or analagous KTM.

In New York the only bike you can legally ride in State owned forest are street legal dirt bikes like Husqvarna TEs.

New York state does have an OHV plate or tag for ATVs and Dirt Bikes, but those vehicals are not permitted on any state owned land.

So if you want to ride on public land back east, you'll require a street legal dirt bike like a TE.

Big differance between east coast land use and west coast land use.

+1, TE310 is the way to go

+2 for TE310 if you MUST have the plate. The 2011+ were bored AND stroked so theres more usable torque. I'd trade mine in on a TXC310 if it weren't for the ease of plating the TE and the lose of $$$$. I'm keeping it though for a few years as a "fun bike" with my neice and nephew and went KTM for a Hare Scrambles bike.

Neither the TE's has have the Keihin FI. TXC has the newer 12 hole injector and still uses the Mikuni. Only the TC250 has the Keihin FI.

I wonder if the new injector will cause Husky grief like it has KTM?