Sign in to follow this  

2005 ktm 65 sx crankshaft rebuild parts help PLEASE LOOK!!!

hey guys, im new to this forum and am in dire need to get some parts for my sons 2005 KTM 65 sx. (please excuse my babbling, but I would rather be too informative, appose to beeing "that guy" that ask for help with little info given.

I seem to keep striking out with my usual google search for parts and your standard oem parts sellers (im not naming any, due to some sites not liking you to plug web sites) but my son seazed the bottom end on the 2005 65 sx, I split the cases and pulled the crank out... I stripped all the little 4mm tapered allen headed bolt trying to remove them, got them out with an extractor tool and managed to break one of the side black polyurathane crank cover (not sure the correct way to spell that word, but to make sure we are thinking of the same thing, it is the side plastic looking covers over the connecting rod to prevent the actual pin at the base of the rod from slipping either way out the crank) it is the plate that is under the tapered bolts that I stripped out...

so now hopefully knowing what I was describing, I need not only the six tapered bolts and the replacement poly black plastic looking plate "cover" ... anyone know where I can get them?????? we are going to the desert for thanksgiving and my son would be devistated if I do not get his bike back up and running for that trip ...

somebody please HELP , even if I cant get new parts, if you have a crank in the shop, shed, garage, attic, that was granaded and have the parts I need that you would like to sell.... I would be more than happy to take it off your hands........ and expecially if you sell these parts new I need them

PM me I will get back to you right away, thanks and god bless

Hey, dont even sweat it. You need to drill those counter sunk hex screws out anyway, its the only way of getting them off. Drill right in the hex part with a bit bigger than the bolt shank itself, drill only until the cap falls off. Do this to all of them. Now take some heat like a propane torch, warm the stump of the crew and crank around the stump, grab the end with vise grips and slowly roll them out. If it cools and the locktite snugs up, put a little heat back on it. Then replace the screws. The plastic parts aren't for sale, comes with new crank, so don't damage them. Then buy new countersunk hex screws. Or get a hold of Andrew from http://www.cookseycrank.com and he will repair your crank with a new rod and ship it back to you so fast, you wont even know its missing.

OE parts, you can get them right from here by clicking on "STORE" or use Munn Racing

becareful with munn. seen transactions with that place turn ugly. not saying it will but it has happened to more than one person

thanks for the fast reply..... I have already disassembled the crank and had new rod pressed in but....... unfortunately I did manage to brake the black cover on one side while removing them, the other side is perfectly fine but since they are not replaceable then I gues my only option would be to either epoxy the crack or just bolt it up and let her ride??????????? well my options are a bit limited at this point and I have all the parts in to rebuild it back up but ran into that little hickup ........those black covers are more like spacers rather than retainers so I think I might be able to get away with taking my chances?????? let me know what your thoughts are guys.....thanks again for the reply

what siezed ? rod, crank bearings, or something in the tranny ? not familiar with the 65 engine but them plastic things just appear to take up volume in the case area, same basic idea honda did, atleast thats what it appears but again i have never messed with the 65 bikes and only guessing based on pics. assuming you can still use the crank without them, obviously your volume would be increased. hard to say how it would run. only seen pics of them cranks so its difficult to know how much volume them plastic deals displace. give it a try and see i guess. new aftermarket crank assembly is pretty cheap but the odds of getting one in the next few days is very slim. plus the engine would still need assembled.