Sign in to follow this  

450R for woods

Well I need some honest advice. I've been riding offroad for years but only on 2T's. I've owned several 4T's but have only raced mx with them. I have the opportunity to trade for an 08 crf450r that is in like new condition and I want to set it up for woods. What is your opinion of this particular model and it's strength's/weakness' for a woods offroad bike????? Thanks in advance for any comments,opions,ect.....

I would say that its as good as it gets for the honda camp! +13oz flywheel weight and the usual bark busters and guards etc. Maybe little lower gearing. Depends on your woods riding ability? And type of terrian. I love my 04 and the 08 is a better bike etc. Just my 2c's

I have been riding an 09 woods for awhile, its a lot different than the 08 but the biggest things I noticed from a 2t.

Overheating if not moving or moving slowly. (Happens in off road races that get backed up on obstacles)

After the bike gets hot the clutch fades.

Random flame outs while at lower RPMS in part due to clutch fading. (I could just be bad)

So add high pressure rad cap, quality coolant, and a rekluse to your shopping list and I guess that resolves those problems.

I would do the usual , hand guards etc , and add a heavy flywheel/weight , and gear it down to about 13/51-2 depending on how tight trails you ride , and you should be fine , that is all i have done on my 02 (besides a 3.2 gallon tank)

You can get tricky like i did and get a CRF250X overflow tank off EBay , and i second the higher pressure radiator cap , i use a 1.6 on both my 450X and 450R , and remember if you stop for long periods or go r e a l slow 4 strokes will overheat unlike 2 strokes that use the oil in the gas for cooling the cylinder temps

Rekluse is a matter of taste , i personally cant stand them , and dont really like the company's business ethics , and to me its not worth the money they charge for it

I rarely if ever stall on a ride no matter how tough the area is , and i use a stock clutch

Gearing is probably the biggest thing for me. Also, take some oil out of the forks. Mine are at 375cc each, which you could probably go lower to 360cc. Make sure that fuel screw is tuned too.

I have posted some threads on this topic, i LOVE my 08 and have an 04 as well. I would not want another bike, and the 08 is MUCH better choice for woods than some of the earlier models. One reason is the timing retarding shift sensor.. in lower gears, the "hit" is less than earlier years. The stock steering damper is nice and not in the way. The geometry and ergos are AMAZING. This thing turns WAY better than the 04 i have, even though both have race tech valving with same springs, and MANY hours of fine tuning.

the 13oz flywheel AND a recluse EXP makes this thing insanely easy to ride.. as in YOU NEVER EVER stall, flame out, etc. AND, the benefit of the recluse is you can run lower gear ratios for A) easier hit for woods AND :busted: FASTER OPEN SECTION SPEEDS!

I just finished 2nd in SrA harescramble last weekend (best A class finish to date), and placed 2nd in VetA as well (we all start on row 1) after installing the recluse, it really did help.

I have posted some threads on this topic, i LOVE my 08 and have an 04 as well. I would not want another bike, and the 08 is MUCH better choice for woods than some of the earlier models. One reason is the timing retarding shift sensor.. in lower gears, the "hit" is less than earlier years. The stock steering damper is nice and not in the way. The geometry and ergos are AMAZING. This thing turns WAY better than the 04 i have, even though both have race tech valving with same springs, and MANY hours of fine tuning.

the 13oz flywheel AND a recluse EXP makes this thing insanely easy to ride.. as in YOU NEVER EVER stall, flame out, etc. AND, the benefit of the recluse is you can run lower gear ratios for A) easier hit for woods AND :bonk: FASTER OPEN SECTION SPEEDS!

I just finished 2nd in SrA harescramble last weekend (best A class finish to date), and placed 2nd in VetA as well (we all start on row 1) after installing the recluse, it really did help.

well said. i have an '08 auto clutch, real heavy flywheel, 4.00 gear, and a kickstand.:busted::):busted:

Guys thanks very much for the great advice, I just finished the season on my 250SX but really want to go with the 450. Had a revloc on the 250 but just never got the feel of it to my comfort. I'm thinking I will convert the 450 to hydraulic clutch because I guess I'm spoiled now. Will definetly use a fww and check out the othergoodies for cooling and all. Again thanks for all the advice.....

Scott

Guys thanks very much for the great advice, I just finished the season on my 250SX but really want to go with the 450. Had a revloc on the 250 but just never got the feel of it to my comfort. I'm thinking I will convert the 450 to hydraulic clutch because I guess I'm spoiled now. Will definetly use a fww and check out the othergoodies for cooling and all. Again thanks for all the advice.....

Scott

the EXP from recluse feels just like the stock clutch at the lever, in fact you don't even know you have an auto clutch many times and can slip the clutch when you need just like normal. Convert the clutch to a hydro if you want TOO.. I have a works connection lever with the ball bearings at the pivot. Amazing piece. As i said, i find i still modulate the clutch as normal, and move the lever IN toward the bar for an easier reach. The stock perch and aftermarket perches have the ability to do that. From there, it is amazing.. i thought only the "squids" in harescrambles were using auto clutches. NOPE. MANY of the AA and A riders all have them.

Don't forget full radiator guards. I run them on my '05 and they have saved me from buying new ones untold times. I second the full handguards, lower gearing (I run 13/49), skid plate, fly wheel weight (I run the +17 oz.). I also run an X head pipe to improve low end in low speed situations, a DID X-ring chain which has proven indestructible, and a PMB spark arrestor end cap that I can remove the screen for closed course races.

Engine Ice is good stuff. I would also add a skidplate (with countersunk screws), a brake snake, rear rotor guard. I had my suspension revalved which helped a ton with the midstroke harshness on the 08 forks. I have a ZstartPro and a trailtech flywheel for lighting in mine which really took the bark away from the bike. If you end up going with a sealed chain you will either need to run the Vt2 Xring or get the countershaft sprocket spacer for running an oring chain.