Sign in to follow this  

Battery tender 12V cigarette plug adapter

I know I have heard people ask about these things before. I have seen them on-line for stupid amounts of money (> $20) so I never gave it much thought - figured I would wire my own before spending that sort of money. Anyways, just today I was in my local auto parts store picking up some stuff for the cage and I stumbled on this

10722.jpg

Link

So there you go, a $5 SAE plug-in 12v accessory harness that will fit your battery tender leads on your bike.

Hope it helps someone out :busted:

so, you plug this in where you have your battery tender leads from the battery on your bike?

and then you insert a regular car battery lighter in it, and it will light it up and pop out when fully hot?

if so... AWESOME!!

They sell those power connector ends at most auto parts stores. I've used several before. :lol:

How fast it drains the battery depends on what you have on there. Low-drain devices like a GPS will go for a few days off a fully-charged moto battery.

Plug an ipad in there, or some high-drain device... whole different story. Even if the bike's running, you'll want to make sure there's at least enough power out of the stator and voltage regulator to drive what you're plugging in there.

I've got ~95w out of the coil, going into a 150W VR (Always want the VR to handle more than the stator can crank out). So I get ~90w out of the VR. With my 55w headlight on, that leaves ~35w left over... minus ~10w for "everything else", turnsigs/tail, etc.... leaves about 25w to charge the battery.

Say I put a 100w load onto the battery with the engine running? Now the stator's going to provide my 90-ish, but that still leaves 10 watts that's going to come from the battery till the battery's dead. This is a situation you want to avoid.

Without the headlight on (just the 5-watt running light) it actually throws out quite a bit of power.

DSC06454.jpg

I have a power port wired into my headlight circuit. I have taken two road trips with a GPS plugged into it basically the entire time the bike was running (except when charging my phone or ipod) and never had any issues. The headlight didn't dim or anything. This is on a 94 XR250L