Sign in to follow this  

race support?

how did you guys go about getting some sponsorship and race support?

what do you need? need to know? and how to go about getting this?

thanks

When I was racing I hung around the bike shop all the time. Once they know you and let you hang in the back with the mechanic's you can get your foot in the sponsorship door. At the races during sign up you could put down the shop you rode for. If you had a good race, your regional edition of cycle news would publish results along with your so called sponsors name. I would take the copy to the shop. They loved to see their name in the newspaper especially if you had a win. That was when they would start giving you stuff. I got jerseys, goggles, spark plugs and such. If you get to the point you can win or do very well as a local pro then you can push for getting a bike at cost. If they really like you, they might even give you a bike to race. Not that I ever got that good:smirk:

Useless post pal.

Actually, it weas a VERY useful post. Had you spent YOUR time searching instead of being lazy and expect EVERYONE else to spoon feed you answers, you'd have more answers than you know what to do with.

However, to answer your question anyways, win races. If you win, sponors will find you.

I run the name of the shop on my Decals on the bike. My buddy that owns the Yamaha shop gives me stuff all the time when I stop in. I'll buy chain or something off him and he gives me 35% off and trows in chain lube air filter oil/cleaner and just last X-Mas I got a check in the mail from him for $100.00

Hope he does it this year. Anyways....I have found out that you are better off by sticking with a local shop for help cause you not only get better deals you build a good relationship with them that will last.

how did you guys go about getting some sponsorship and race support?

what do you need? need to know? and how to go about getting this?

thanks

I'm not sure how things work in Australia, but here in the states, you've gotta bring some results first. Once you start bringing results, even if its in a lower class, even if its a local series, you will run into the right people. They will literally come to your pit and say HI and things will start to happen.

If you're a good rider, shops will hook you up guaranteed. All you have to do is bring them your resume (races you've won, how long you've been racing etc) and most shops will help you out. Because I live in Southern California, most of all the motocross parts manufacturers and distributors are here, so its easy for me to drive down to the shops and talk with the owners. Living in Australia, you'll have less options for sure, but you have to be strong, stay on top of it. The most sponsored riders out their are nice, extremely talented and most of all out-going and patient people. They are people who are willing to ask for the sponsorship and know their skills are good enough for the company to be represented properly.

Whatever you do and whatever happens, most "sponsorship" today is a T shirt, hat, some stickers and building a relationship with the companies who sponsor you. It will be discounts on product mostly and perhaps if your damn lucky, some free entry for races. But here in the states, we do have "contingency" which is a program that reimburses you for using a certain product, but I'm not sure if that exists in Australia.

As a rep in this industry, I look for riders that are already wearing my products (it makes me feel as though they believe in the brand to begin with and aren't just wearing it because they got a deal) and have a great attitude. They don't have to win all the time, just be friendly, approachable and try their hardest.Guys that ride local are mor important to me than guys the guy that is all about the nationals. That doesn't help my business, or their results. Oh I should also point out that it the kid and his or her family are A-double S-Holes...I'm not interested

As a rep in this industry, I look for riders that are already wearing my products (it makes me feel as though they believe in the brand to begin with and aren't just wearing it because they got a deal) and have a great attitude. They don't have to win all the time, just be friendly, approachable and try their hardest.Guys that ride local are mor important to me than guys the guy that is all about the nationals. That doesn't help my business, or their results. Oh I should also point out that it the kid and his or her family are A-double S-Holes...I'm not interested

:lol: