Sign in to follow this  

Considering buying a 97 xr250, not sure please help

I have a buddy who has a xr 400. a couple weeks we went riding and it took him 30-45 min to get it started. It was ridiculous. Once it started then it was fine the rest of the weekend. It would start within a few kicks. I'm looking at getting a bike and I came across a 97 xr250 that looks to be in really nice shape. He said he would sell it for $900. I did some research on the starting issue and I see that this seems to be fairly common among xr's. Even this guy with the 250 said it is hard to start when cold but then it's fine after that. Is this a problem that everyone with xr's just deal with? Any help is appreciated, if it wasn't for the starting issues that I keep reading about I would be all over this bike for $900. After seeing my buddy work his ass off to get his stupid bike started I am very hesitant to get this bike.

I just push the button and my 650 fires right up :busted: lol

my son has a xr 250 and I also had one at one time,you have to re jet it if it is factory they have lean jets in them,also if the bike sits you should drain the float bowl before you try to start it. they are great bikes buy it thats a good deal

My 400 has given me problems starting exactly 1 time since 2006 when I bought it. If it's a clean unit for 900, grab it.

Starting is a non issue if the bike is maintained , one kick is all it takes.

Starting problems are a hot topic around here because it's just the place to go and get help. A lot of guys are kick and go riders and are mechanically out to lunch. Most problems are simple thinks like jets being clogged and bad gas but are blamed on the bike. XR's are a little more refined and won't self distruct like a 2 smoker but will last 4 times longer if maintained.

Buy the bike and buy a manual :busted:

There is not a starting problem with the xr.It is a rider problem not knowing how to start it.I got real good at it having to start 8-15 of them before a ride.Also set up tricks.When your bike sits more tham two weeks,drain the bowel on carb to start with.

There is not a starting problem with the xr.It is a rider problem not knowing how to start it.I got real good at it having to start 8-15 of them before a ride.Also set up tricks.When your bike sits more tham two weeks,drain the bowel on carb to start with.

More sage advice from BtR....:busted:

yeah i have 86 xr250, absolutley NO probs starting cold or hot. Even after a fall:smirk: 3-7 kicks it starts. just gotta know how. For 900 bucks and it looks good, go for it! you'll be glad you did. I paid 800 for mine.

the other week I got my lil XR out for the 1st time in 6+month

and I was pissed

it took 2 kicks to start that horrible bike

one should be enough

After seeing my buddy work his ass off to get his stupid bike started I am very hesitant to get this bike.

Your buddy may have a valve issue, and/or doesn't know the secret tricks. It's fairly easy to adjust the valves - do that first. Next, lean the bike over sideways until fuel starts to spill out of the overflow tube. Let it run for a couple of seconds then stand up. Next, turn the idle knob up a turn or so. Set the choke and kick using the TDC method making sure not to touch the throttle. It should start right up with a fast idle. Turn the idle down and turn off the choke as the bike warms up. Takes about 30 seconds.

Also, it will be hard to start with factory jetting. Once you richen up the jetting, it usually starts much easier.

Get the XR - you'll be happy you did.

JayC

Thanks guys, sounds like it is not an issue since not one of you said you had a problem. It is true that my buddy hasn't ridding for a very long time. I on the other hand have ridden for 15 years but haven't been on a bike in about 6 years. Maybe just having more experience will make a big difference.

Hang on ...

Starting is a non issue if the bike is maintained , one kick is all it takes.

Not true for me a least over 30 years ... Honda's run a choke plate which is very tough for some to modulate during the choke cycle.

Bottom line you can not leave a choke plate closed too long and if you open it the bike stalls.

I richened my XR250 up to help but not cure the issue. VALVE ADJUSTMENT = MAYBE

A properly maintained, adjusted XR is always easy to start. Period. Valve adjustment and carb clean and its likely that the bike will be a first kick bike like it is supposed to be.

I just got a '95 a month ago for 800 and it starts right up fairly easy. Not always 1st, but within 2 or 3. I don't think the fella I got it from did much maintaining either. I'm used to kicking over cantankerous bikes though.