Sign in to follow this  

Yet Another Seat Concepts Thread

Sorry in advance for the long post but maybe the details & eventual solutions will help others in a similar situation;

I bought a used 05 S in 06 after many years away from off road riding & set it up for trails & SM as well. I mostly leave it in trail mode these days with aggressive knobbies since I have a second bike.

When I bought the bike in 06, it had #3 Kouba lowering links. In addition, I raised the forks & cut the seat super low since I am short & the trails here are technical. I also use Sweet Cheeks with inflatable thermarest pads inside for comfort; http://www.Cycle-Analyst.com/sweetcheeks.htm

As my skills improved, I eventually put the links & forks back to stock, but continued to use the sweet cheeks & left the seat shaved. It has been a successful solution overall since I have a wide comfortable platform on the rear for the long rides to trails & have the front cut low for technical sections.

The sweet cheeks was always intended to be an interim solution. I researched all the manufacturers & styles (Yes, even the Manta) but just couldn't seem to arrive at a reasonable solution without spending allot or doing some serious mods myself.

Part of the problem was that I wanted to keep the front low for technical riding & have a comfortable rear portion to cruise on. I also realized that its a lot of work on the legs & knees :busted: to transition from sitting & standing with a low seat & felt that a low front & raised wide rear section would be the best solution. Something similar to a step seat. The fabric of the sweet cheeks is also slippery & I was always sliding forward.

I finally decided to get a proper upgraded seat & ordered a low seat concepts seat with gripper top yesterday. I spoke with him about my ideas & he is including some extra foam in the order for me to experiment with. He said there is enough extra material on the cover to do so & that it stretches. He also said that I should get the low seat & add to it since I can remove the extra & go back to the original rather than cut a standard or tall version. He also suggested that I ride around with just the foam as I experiment before installing the cover.

I am looking for suggestions as well as a possible resurrection of a Manta seat thread :busted::cheers:

I just received my SC seat a few weeks ago and love it. I was torn between the low and standard (5'10", 30" inseam) and went with the standard. It's about the same height as stock and I can deal with it although I maybe should have gotten the low seat, I dunno. But everything about the seat itself is great, foam density and shape nearly spot-on, nice looking cover (and when they say 'gripper' seat they mean it :busted:) Simply night-and-day better than stock in all respects and it has transformed the bike. It's not a $700 Russell of course, but still more comfortable than any dirt bike seat has a right to be and I'm extremely happy with it. There is no better way to spend $159 on this bike, I can tell you that.

Thanks guys! Which model air hawk do you use? Any ideas on keeping the SC seat low in front & adding some foam on the rear to make a more level & raised platform to keep from sliding forward & making it easier to sit & stand?

I've been wanting the SC seat for a while now. Im using an ATV seat cover and hunting cushion. See this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015334&highlight=poor+mans+seat+cover

I like being able to remove it when I hit the trails so I sit lower to avoid low branches and reach the ground a little better. I still want the SC but its not the first thing on my list.

Thanks guys! Which model air hawk do you use? Any ideas on keeping the SC seat low in front & adding some foam on the rear to make a more level & raised platform to keep from sliding forward & making it easier to sit & stand?

i use the small pillion air hawk

I received the low seat & extra foam that seemed to be a rejected low seat foam with slight deformities. I cut it basically in half & glued the back section to the pan & then glued the full foam over that. This gives me a level, higher & well padded rear section with a lower section near the tank. It looks good but does have some wrinkles in the top of the cover near the tank. I have seen the same wrinkles in photos of other low seat installations so I assume they are hard to eliminate 100% especially with the sharp transition I have. I did try to bend the seat pan up a bit as I installed the cover with hopes that it would stretch out the cover when pulled down by the front & rear mounts but I guess didn't bend it enough. I can live with it. I will report back after I have ridden with it & add a photo.