Yet Another Seat Concepts Thread

Sorry in advance for the long post but maybe the details & eventual solutions will help others in a similar situation;

I bought a used 05 S in 06 after many years away from off road riding & set it up for trails & SM as well. I mostly leave it in trail mode these days with aggressive knobbies since I have a second bike.

When I bought the bike in 06, it had #3 Kouba lowering links. In addition, I raised the forks & cut the seat super low since I am short & the trails here are technical. I also use Sweet Cheeks with inflatable thermarest pads inside for comfort; http://www.Cycle-Analyst.com/sweetcheeks.htm

As my skills improved, I eventually put the links & forks back to stock, but continued to use the sweet cheeks & left the seat shaved. It has been a successful solution overall since I have a wide comfortable platform on the rear for the long rides to trails & have the front cut low for technical sections.

The sweet cheeks was always intended to be an interim solution. I researched all the manufacturers & styles (Yes, even the Manta) but just couldn't seem to arrive at a reasonable solution without spending allot or doing some serious mods myself.

Part of the problem was that I wanted to keep the front low for technical riding & have a comfortable rear portion to cruise on. I also realized that its a lot of work on the legs & knees :busted: to transition from sitting & standing with a low seat & felt that a low front & raised wide rear section would be the best solution. Something similar to a step seat. The fabric of the sweet cheeks is also slippery & I was always sliding forward.

I finally decided to get a proper upgraded seat & ordered a low seat concepts seat with gripper top yesterday. I spoke with him about my ideas & he is including some extra foam in the order for me to experiment with. He said there is enough extra material on the cover to do so & that it stretches. He also said that I should get the low seat & add to it since I can remove the extra & go back to the original rather than cut a standard or tall version. He also suggested that I ride around with just the foam as I experiment before installing the cover.

I am looking for suggestions as well as a possible resurrection of a Manta seat thread :busted::cheers:

I just received my SC seat a few weeks ago and love it. I was torn between the low and standard (5'10", 30" inseam) and went with the standard. It's about the same height as stock and I can deal with it although I maybe should have gotten the low seat, I dunno. But everything about the seat itself is great, foam density and shape nearly spot-on, nice looking cover (and when they say 'gripper' seat they mean it :busted:) Simply night-and-day better than stock in all respects and it has transformed the bike. It's not a $700 Russell of course, but still more comfortable than any dirt bike seat has a right to be and I'm extremely happy with it. There is no better way to spend $159 on this bike, I can tell you that.

I've been wanting the SC seat for a while now. Im using an ATV seat cover and hunting cushion. See this thread.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015334&highlight=poor+mans+seat+cover

I like being able to remove it when I hit the trails so I sit lower to avoid low branches and reach the ground a little better. I still want the SC but its not the first thing on my list.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the low seat & extra foam that seemed to be a rejected low seat foam with slight deformities. I cut it basically in half & glued the back section to the pan & then glued the full foam over that. This gives me a level, higher & well padded rear section with a lower section near the tank. It looks good but does have some wrinkles in the top of the cover near the tank. I have seen the same wrinkles in photos of other low seat installations so I assume they are hard to eliminate 100% especially with the sharp transition I have. I did try to bend the seat pan up a bit as I installed the cover with hopes that it would stretch out the cover when pulled down by the front & rear mounts but I guess didn't bend it enough. I can live with it. I will report back after I have ridden with it & add a photo.