Sign in to follow this  

exhaust question?

is it possible to adapt a crf250r dual exhaust to a crf230f???

im thinking of just soldering the exhaust on to the crf230f pipe and adapting crf250r rear number plastics and tail on it so the exhuast will fit on it fine...

has any one done this type of mod or thought of it?

i just want it for the looks not for racing,since i use it for semi enduro,dualsport without the street legal junk on it.

or do they sell an exhaust ready made like this?

i don't want negative,insulting comments.

i just want to now if it can be done and how..

i dont want comments saying to just leave the single exhuast it has on it.

:busted::busted:

anything is possible...

If this is something you try, don't solder... Match your materials. Stainless pipe gets stainless rod or wire and weld. For mild steel use the correct rod or wire. Even brazzing needs to match.

It would be for looks. A true performance exhaust is matched and built to flow specifications.

Nothing on the market matches your want for this bike currently

What the factory decided was, the extra weight of the second muffler isn't worth any power gain. They only offered it on one model year. You have to remove 7 lbs to gain the equivilent of 1 hp on a bike. Even street bike designers decided to go 4into1 to save weight. May look good, but you would have to design and make a new side cover for the left side. In reverse, if you add 7 lbs to the bike, you just lost 1 hp. A single Supertrapp weighs 3.5 lbs. Add pipe to that, and you're there. Good luck.

Edited by ronbuell

What the factory decided was, the extra weight of the second muffler isn't worth any power gain. They only offered it on one model year. You have to remove 7 lbs to gain the equivilent of 1 hp on a bike. Even street bike designers decided to go 4into1 to save weight. May look good, but you would have to design and make a new side cover for the left side. In reverse, if you add 7 lbs to the bike, you just lost 1 hp. A single Supertrapp weighs 3.5 lbs. Add pipe to that, and you're there. Good luck.

im thinking of adapting crf250r rear plastic on to the bike.

and will it affect anything else other than 1hp?

You will need to study the rear subframe design on the CRF250 to see how they routed the extra pipe thru the frame. They probably also had to design the airbox to accomodate the pipe, and you need to check the location on the rear shock to see if that was affected. Remember to heat shield critical areas around the shock and carb. If you decide to route the pipe behind the fender, check tire clearance too. Once you install the extra muffler, you will have to rejet the carb, prob slightly richer for freer flowing exhaust. There are discussions on carb jetting for this bike, so look those up.

another problem the head pipe from a 230 is half the size of the pipes on a 250. the number plates wont fit because they are made for a completely different type and style of frame and sub-frame. i have seen it done once but the person used the crf250r frame and the only part from the 230 was the engine.

If I remember the exhaust routing is pretty similar on both bikes. I think the 230 has more of a curve in it near the exhaust guard and my 250 has a straighter pipe there. Then they route pretty much the same(from my memory) until it gets to the mudflap and then the two pipe separate and go around the mud flap.

another problem the head pipe from a 230 is half the size of the pipes on a 250. the number plates wont fit because they are made for a completely different type and style of frame and sub-frame. i have seen it done once but the person used the crf250r frame and the only part from the 230 was the engine.

i was thinking of mating the 2 pipes ,then filling the space in between them so that it would fit.

i was thinking of mating the 2 pipes ,then filling the space in between them so that it would fit.

i think that could create some weird air flow and hurt performance. filling the space would also be hard because the 230 pipe is steel and the 250 is stainless steel and they cannot be welded together as far as i know.

if you are skilled enough tig welder i think you could make both pipes and then add the two mufflers you would just have to find away to join the mufflers to the pipe. and fabricate a new muffler hanger for the left side as well as find away to get a 250 number plate on the left side.

i was thinking more of:

drilling a hole on the the stock pipe big enough for the air to escape normally .

geting another 230 stock pipe,bend it to make the Y design.

weld the 2 pipes together.

put fmf power core 4 mufflers on both pipes.

i can put heat resistant material over delicate places

adapting the crf250r rear number plastic on both sides with rear fender.

then ride around town:ride:

has any one even done this kind of thing here on thumper talk who i can ask.

Edited by yousef1

IMHO if possible this would be a formitable task and, again, IMHO, if at all possible, is certainly not practical. I have owned both the 230 and the 250, torn them both down to the frame; done many costly modifications requiring fabricaion (primarily on the 230) There is no physically or financially practical way to do this. I have not seen anything like this attempted (possibly for good reason). If you would like to be the first please keep us posted.

ST O.D.

IMHO if possible this would be a formitable task and, again, IMHO, if at all possible, is certainly not practical. I have owned both the 230 and the 250, torn them both down to the frame; done many costly modifications requiring fabricaion (primarily on the 230) There is no physically or financially practical way to do this. I have not seen anything like this attempted (possibly for good reason). If you would like to be the first please keep us posted.

ST O.D.

and how did the owner of this crf230f do it? he didnt even change the rear plastic.:lol:

DSC08537.JPG

or thease???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAbaPToTdlc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0dERnZIo1w&feature=related at 2:58

Edited by yousef1

and how did the owner of this crf230f do it? he didnt even change the rear plastic.:lol:

DSC08537.JPG

or thease???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAbaPToTdlc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0dERnZIo1w&feature=related at 2:58

I believe that was an exhaust made specifically for the 230. It isn't listed on the pro tork website anymore though.

i know thats not in the usa,its brazil.

would it work if i coppied one of those y models?

by useing stock pipe and then adding a slip on muffler?

and what about the other exhaust that come out in the other vids??

ahhh I see your in Central America. Since you live there, you may be able to find the same dealers that made the pipes in the vids.