Sign in to follow this  

Can anyone compare a Pirelli MXMS front to a Dunlop MX71 for me ?

Just wondering how the mx71 front goes in comparison to the MXMS (my front tyre of choice) ? I've gone through alot of tyres to get something with this much grip and compliancy, but I'm a little depressed about the short lifespan on our trails over summer. Can anyone tell me how the mx71 compares? I don't really rate the 51 and 31.

I haven't tried the Pirelli, but I have run numerous MX71's on different bikes and it's my front tire of choice for a durable, long lasting, tire that has very good handling and grip traits over a variety of terrain.:busted:

I run MXMS by pirelli which is a soft compound tire for sand and mud.

The Geomax mx71 by dunlop is a Hard compound tire for hardpacked dirt and flat corners.

Theses are two entirely different tires for different situations and types of terrain.

I just got 2 Dunlop Geomax MX51's (which replaced) Dunlops's 756's.

I really like the 756's but they wear out too fast(about three races) and then you flip them around to get three more races out of them.

I'm interested too see how the MX51's hold up and how they perform compared to the 756's.

I have actually tried the MX71 and the Pirelli out on the front. The MX 71 is on the front of my bike now. It is great on intermediate to hard terrain and is wearing really good. It wil however pack up in clay as the knobs are much closer together than the Pirelli. I guess you have to pick your poison. The Pirelli is skatey on hard pack and blue groove but self cleans. I have a history of tearing off side knobs on it as well. The MX 71 is more durable but is no fun is mud. I have not tried the MX 51 on the front, but have read some not so great reviews of it. I probably won't buy one to find out based on what I have read, but I would buy another MX 71.

Never had any luck with the pirellis. I have never seen side knobs break off so easily and so quickly. I have never had any problems with either company hooking up but I find the dunlops to last way longer

I have actually tried the MX71 and the Pirelli out on the front. The MX 71 is on the front of my bike now. It is great on intermediate to hard terrain and is wearing really good. It wil however pack up in clay as the knobs are much closer together than the Pirelli. I guess you have to pick your poison. The Pirelli is skatey on hard pack and blue groove but self cleans. I have a history of tearing off side knobs on it as well. The MX 71 is more durable but is no fun is mud. I have not tried the MX 51 on the front, but have read some not so great reviews of it. I probably won't buy one to find out based on what I have read, but I would buy another MX 71.

Thanks for that. I sold my stockpile of 756's when I found the MXMS I rated it that well... but I was a little dissapointed in the sideknob life. If the mx71 lasts longer and works as well in the dry then i'm definately keen to give that a crack.

Did the 71 have good sidewall compliance ? the mx31 was way too stiff for me... the mxms seems on par with the 756.

Gravelly hardpack and logs/roots seem to be the major weaknesses of the mxms to me, otherwise nothing else i've tried has come close...

Ever tried a Bridgestone M59? The grip and wear are excellent. I ran the MXMS and also was missing some side knobs. The M59 came on my KTM 250 I bought used and it just works great in all kinds of terrain. The wear is excellent as well. A recent trip to Rockhouse at Hatfield McCoy proved it works well on rocks and hard pack.

Might want to try one out.

I run 12 psi on the front and the MX 71 seems good on roots but the gravel on hard pack was skatey, but it was skatey with everything I have tried. The Pirelli did seem better in roots and embedded rocks but I think it was because of three things.

1- The knobs self cleaned in the woods around the root sections

2- Because the knobs are spaced further apart, they have a tendency to grab roots better than hard terrain tire with closer space knobs.

3- Part of the compliance I felt was not the side wall bending, but the knobs rolling over that led to them breaking off.

I went to the hard terrain tire MX 71 front frankly as an experiment. In the past I have tried intermediate tires on front with okay results. For the last few years, I have run an intermediate on back and a soft to mid on front because the rear is better for self cleaning but the front (theoretically) would benefit with more knob spacing. Then I started looking at what I most ride on. I ride off road most of the time and occasionally go to the mx track. Most of the time the ground I ride on is as hard as a rock. We have red clay that is like concrete in the summer. What I have found is the MX 71 works great on hard clay, grass fields, intermediate soil, and dry to intermediate type woods areas. Now when the clay/soil is wet the Pirelli was/is the better choice as most other soft to intermediates should be. My plan is to run an MX 51 on the rear and alternate the MX 31 and MX 71 on the front depending on how wet it is. I may try some different intermediate fronts in the future too. The problem with riding offroad/harescrambles is the soil changes so much I have been trying to find the best compromise. The process continues...

Seen a lot of people here complain about the MXMS tire break knobs off the side of tires. I never had any problems with this on any of the Pirelli's I've had but I only ride at MX tracks.

Guess it could be the knobs snagging on roots and such that are in the woods that would cause them too break off. There is just not much debris on a MX track that would cause knobs to come off unless the tire itself is so worn out that it lost its strength in that particular section of the tire.

I have not tried the MX 51 on the front, but have read some not so great reviews of it. I probably won't buy one to find out based on what I have read, but I would buy another MX 71.

I think the MX51 got a bad rap because the first batch had a weird profile that made it feel like it was losing traction when leaned over. They fixed that and it is a good all round tire.

I think the MX51 got a bad rap because the first batch had a weird profile that made it feel like it was losing traction when leaned over. They fixed that and it is a good all round tire.

I did not know this. I will give it another look. Thanks.:lol:

I run 12 psi on the front and the MX 71 seems good on roots but the gravel on hard pack was skatey, but it was skatey with everything I have tried. The Pirelli did seem better in roots and embedded rocks but I think it was because of three things.

1- The knobs self cleaned in the woods around the root sections

2- Because the knobs are spaced further apart, they have a tendency to grab roots better than hard terrain tire with closer space knobs.

3- Part of the compliance I felt was not the side wall bending, but the knobs rolling over that led to them breaking off.

I went to the hard terrain tire MX 71 front frankly as an experiment. In the past I have tried intermediate tires on front with okay results. For the last few years, I have run an intermediate on back and a soft to mid on front because the rear is better for self cleaning but the front (theoretically) would benefit with more knob spacing. Then I started looking at what I most ride on. I ride off road most of the time and occasionally go to the mx track. Most of the time the ground I ride on is as hard as a rock. We have red clay that is like concrete in the summer. What I have found is the MX 71 works great on hard clay, grass fields, intermediate soil, and dry to intermediate type woods areas. Now when the clay/soil is wet the Pirelli was/is the better choice as most other soft to intermediates should be. My plan is to run an MX 51 on the rear and alternate the MX 31 and MX 71 on the front depending on how wet it is. I may try some different intermediate fronts in the future too. The problem with riding offroad/harescrambles is the soil changes so much I have been trying to find the best compromise. The process continues...

Haha yeah... the never ending search for perfection!

I'm getting about 400-500 miles out of the pirelli before it's pretty much cactus... (not a single side knob left) any idea how much further you're gettting out of the mx71 ?

That's interesting about the mx-51.... what are people counting as a first batch though ? was it a silent change ? what exactly did they do to the profile ?

pirelli is crap and knobs chunk like crazy youre much better off the mx71

although i usually look at posts like this as people greatly exaggerating...this is truthful info. i have not had a tire shed knob, ever. my friend put a mxms on his 01 cr250 and he LOVES the tire, but literally, after the first ride we saw the side knobs starting to tear away. i figured maybe it was a defective tire, but posts like this and others have convinced me otherwise. this was a SOFT terrain track as well (cahuilla creek, if youre familiar)...1 ride, seriously.

although i usually look at posts like this as people greatly exaggerating...this is truthful info. i have not had a tire shed knob, ever. my friend put a mxms on his 01 cr250 and he LOVES the tire, but literally, after the first ride we saw the side knobs starting to tear away. i figured maybe it was a defective tire, but posts like this and others have convinced me otherwise. this was a SOFT terrain track as well (cahuilla creek, if youre familiar)...1 ride, seriously.

Ya youre not gonna find too many people who are pro-pirelli. I likewise have never had tires shred knobs, until i ran some pirellis. Ran em once and it was one time too many.

Any of you try the Bridgestone 603 front as an alternative to the MX71?

I haven't. Mainly because the 203 and 403 are too round in profile with average outter knobs and therefore don't give me the extreme lean traction I'm after... so I assumed the 603 would be similar?

Ya youre not gonna find too many people who are pro-pirelli. I likewise have never had tires shred knobs, until i ran some pirellis. Ran em once and it was one time too many.

You have to look past the knob thing though and look at the traction it's giving you. The MXMS is light years ahead of the 756... so what price do you put on traction ? even with half the knobs ripped off it's still as good as a new 203.

I haven't. Mainly because the 203 and 403 are too round in profile with average outter knobs and therefore don't give me the extreme lean traction I'm after... so I assumed the 603 would be similar?

You have to look past the knob thing though and look at the traction it's giving you. The MXMS is light years ahead of the 756... so what price do you put on traction ? even with half the knobs ripped off it's still as good as a new 203.

The 756 is an old tire. The geomax series is better. I'm not even just referring to the rear chunking either, Even the fronts chunk like crazy, and my traction was better with a mx51 front vs the Pirelli mid soft.