Sign in to follow this  

tranny issues still

well the bikes at the shop and my mechanic is saying that the dogs (gears that engage the tranny) are worn. I bought a used tranny off ebay and he says they are worn too and doesnt want to put it together if its not right as it will give me problems in the near future. He's talking about getting the tranny cut. Is this a better idea than buying the three tranny gears new that I would need? Gears are about 220 and cutting is 300. Thanks:thumbsup:

They slightly back cut the dogs on the gears giving them a much more positive lock together. This is something they do with drag bikes. The problem is that the shift is much harder. I would suggest replacing the gears. You should replace them in pairs. where they lock together, if you only replace one side, they wear prematurly. In 09, the steel they used for the gears was changed. The 09 gears were much better and less wear. I had the issue with my kids 08 after 30 hrs. He was complaining of a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd / 3rd and 4th. I replaced them with the upgraded 09 gears. Never had a problem after that. I don't remember them being that much money and I replaced 6 gears in the trans.

no worries man. Thanks for all the help. I'm just having the dogs backcut and all will be good. Hope to have the bike back for the weekend following turkey day. Been 6 weeks now!!!:busted:

jsut dont understand how this stuff happens in bikes now. Seems like shit falls apart/breaks so much more than back in the day.

Light weight and less durable. Who knows what type of shit metal they're using. Shot peening these parts would probably help also if they don't already.

Light weight and less durable. Who knows what type of shit metal they're using. Shot peening these parts would probably help also if they don't already.

very true

They slightly back cut the dogs on the gears giving them a much more positive lock together. This is something they do with drag bikes. The problem is that the shift is much harder. I would suggest replacing the gears. You should replace them in pairs. where they lock together, if you only replace one side, they wear prematurly. In 09, the steel they used for the gears was changed. The 09 gears were much better and less wear. I had the issue with my kids 08 after 30 hrs. He was complaining of a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd / 3rd and 4th. I replaced them with the upgraded 09 gears. Never had a problem after that. I don't remember them being that much money and I replaced 6 gears in the trans.

I had an 05 CRF about 5-6 years ago that had this exact problem and it didn't have much time on it. Funny that I finally found out the issue. :lol: