Sign in to follow this  

Noob questions

Hi. I'm new to dirt riding. I bought a XR200R for national forest trails. The bike comes with aftermarket handlebars and hand guards...Renthal. Does the presence of aftermarket bar means the bike was probably wrecked? If not, why would someone replace the stock one? Is there something bad about stock? The handguard is metal. I'm thinking about tossing it for weight reduction. The bike feels very heavy in the sand and tight trail. I was going to put a metal rack in the back to carry tools and stuff, but I ditched that idea pretty quick. I don't want to add anymore weight. I was pretty excited when I bought this bike. I'm wondering now if I should have gotten a KX100 instead. My other hobby is mountain bike. I'm used to much, much lighter ride. But I'm familiar with riding tough techical trails.

I'll be brief;

1) Aftermarket aluminum handlebars are an aftermarket upgrade. Consider it a good thing.

2) Keep the aluminum handguards. If you drop the bike, it will protect your hand controls. Broken brake/clutch on the trail can make a miserable ride back to civilization.

3) The XR200R is considered a light bike, so an aluminum rack on the back are pretty nice to have. XRsonly I believe still make a rack for the XR.

4) If your trail riding, the XR is hands down a better bike than the KX100 IMO.

Good luck,

KDXIdaho

I assume the stock handlebar is steel. Right? So, aftermarket aluminum is lighter, Right? So, stock is stronger but heavier, and aluminum is lighter but weaker. Right?

Actually the Renthals are worlds better than the stock steelies in strength and weight. They are more robust, high grade aluminum, and difficult to tweak. You can bend steel handlebars by looking at them funny. Don't worry, you won't have to upgrade your handlebars.

Not necessarily factory bars are cheap mild steel and bend easily at the cross brace.

The other issue that may be more important is the bend of the bars; OEM have a lot of sweep and low rise (Enduro bend), ok for seated riding but not optimum for control. Over the years I have replaced most Enduro bend bars with Renthals in a MX bend, less sweep and more rise. My favorite bend is CR High but I've used others.

bar_dimensions_web.jpg

In the center of the bar are grids to help align the bars in the clamps and also a three digit part code, the following link has a table of those codes and the dimensions of the bars.

http://www.renthal.com/File/apps1.asp?tabtype=5&productid=0&appid=MOTOCROSS/ENDURO&zone=&biketype=&manufacturer=&model=&bikedate

I assume the stock handlebar is steel. Right? So, aftermarket aluminum is lighter, Right? So, stock is stronger but heavier, and aluminum is lighter but weaker. Right?

Actually the opposite. Stock steel bars bend easily, the aluminum bars hold up much better and are in fact lighter.

I see the number 773 in the middle of the bar. On the left side, I see a partially covered number **73 502177.

On Renthals' table, 773 is "CR MID".

CR MID 773-01 796 89 49 130 58 211

I don't feel comfortable standing up with this bar. My upper body is leaning too much forward when I stand up. I'm 5'7".

I don't feel comfortable standing up with this bar. My upper body is leaning too much forward when I stand up. I'm 5'7".

A slight forward leaning is a good thing as far as I’m concerned. It keeps some weight on the front wheel for better cornering. If you feel it’s too far forwards, loosen the bar clamps where they attach to the top triple tree and move the bars back a touch. Don’t move the bars too much at one time. Move them ¼ inch or so then try it.

I agree with Mike. Try rotating the bars back a bit at a time, however I like my bars a bit forward so the tops are flat. That may seem like it is pulling you forward when standing but as Mike said it puts your weight more evenly on both wheels. You need to learn to stand with fairly straight legs without any weight on your hands, that is least tiring and positions you so you can control the bike. You could also try a RC Hi bar (809). I'm 5'8" and use CR Hi and Windham bars.

I never really stand up while riding the trail. I just lift my butt off the seat about an inch or two when going over rough stuff. When am I suppose to stand up? If I stand up, I feel like my head is in front of the handlebar.

I'm also feeling like the bike is too small for me sometimes. My knees are folded up, bent more than 90 degrees when I scoot forward on the seat. I'm suppose to seat as far forward as possible, right? Am my knees suppose to be so bent? I've an old knee injury, and it doesn't have good flexibility.

I never really stand up while riding the trail. I just lift my butt off the seat about an inch or two when going over rough stuff. When am I suppose to stand up? If I stand up, I feel like my head is in front of the handlebar.

I'm also feeling like the bike is too small for me sometimes. My knees are folded up, bent more than 90 degrees when I scoot forward on the seat. I'm suppose to seat as far forward as possible, right? Am my knees suppose to be so bent? I've an old knee injury, and it doesn't have good flexibility.

How tall are you?

I'm 6'2" and I ride my dad's xr200 sometimes. It is pretty small, which makes it easier for shorter and beginning riders. I tend to sit wherever is comfortable on it, not all the way forward though. I don't have too much trouble standing on the bike, but the stock bars are too low for me. A full sized mx bike is much easier to stand up on, but not near as comfortable to sit on IMO. And you tend to sit much more trail riding.

I'm 5' 11" and my '87 with the better stock suspension puts the bike at a perfect height for me. So I'm assuming that you have the newer sissified suspension that came on the newer XRs. I also use a higher profile rear tire which helps the height in the rear. 110/100/17 IRC Vulcanduro

As far as bars the stocks do ok but I like the CR hi-bend that I upgraded my '88 to. Bark busters on the front do more than protect your levers but your hands as well when trail riding through forested or brushy areas. Check the trees on some of the tighter trails and you'll see a lot of bark missing from them at handle bar height.

Here is a pic of me standing in front of my '87 taking a smoke break at Capitol Forest.

shane-albums-riding-picture7231-img-1345a.jpg

Part No

Dim

A

Dim

B

Dim

C

Dim

D

Dim

E

Dim

F

CR HIGH 722-01

CR MID 773-01

Is there much height difference between the Mid and High? Dim B difference is only 6mm. I have CR Mid now. Thinking of going to CR High.