Sign in to follow this  

Maxima fork oil cleaned itself?

I had a coffee can of some used fork oil on my bench for a few weeks now. Just looked in there and all the debris that clouded the oil settled to the bottom. On top is crystal clear 10w fork oil.

Particles in a non-homogeneous solution will "drop" out of the solution over time and settle to the bottom (or top depending on densities).

I wish I would have known that. Could have saved $50 in oil.

I tried filtering it once, but it seemed the particles were just too fine. Tried running it through a fuel filter.

Dirt isn't the only thing that happens to fork oil (or engine oil, for that matter). Some of the degradation is invisible under any circumstance other that advanced testing.

The additives that allow multi-grade oils to keep from thinning excessively with heat get beat to death physically over time (some much faster than others), and end up being too thin to work well at operating temperatures.

Yeah, all the metal wear sinks down to the bottom. I've noticed that too.

But I also think the oil loses its positive property.

Just the fact that its clear again doesnt mean its from the same quality as a new one....

I was going crazy with tuning, so I only had maybe 2 hours max on a dozen or so oil changes. Lol

Ive done that several times.

The problem is after its run for 15-20 hours its not 10wt any more. Its all sheared out even if its clean. The lubricity of it is dead also.

I would reuse 2 hour old oil on my own personal bike

Thats the difference between Detergent and Non-detergent oils. Detergent oils keep debris in suspension.Quality oils have better ' shear' resistance , so , last longer.In reality ,if you re-use very low hour oil and clean it , its probably fine in a fork . Never ever in a shock.