Sign in to follow this  

No Screwdriver Slot in My Stock Fuel Mixture Screw .. ??

All,

I just bought a used 07' 450x (in stock condition), and was in the process of doing all my jetting mods last night (i.e., new pilot, new main, new leak jet, etc.).

To my surprise, when it came time to remove the stock fuel mixture screw (in order to replace it with an adjustable screw), I discovered there was no "slot" for a screwdriver in the base of the existing brass screw -- just squared off brass ... ???

Since I don't have a pair of needle-nose pliers that are thin enough to grasp the slotless fuel mixture screw, I'm not quite sure what to do in order to remove it ... looking to see if anyone has any experience/advice with this.

I've shot Eddie Sisneros a pm as well, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask for a other forum member's help/advice as well.

Thanks in advance ... I appreciate any suggestions.

Where do you live?

If you are close, bring it over and I'll take the D slot screw out and give you a stock one with a slot, or put an adjustable aftermarket one in there.

You can shove a butt splice plastic connector on there, and get it to turn.

Well, that, at least, makes sense ... I did notice the stock screw had a flat edge -- hence the "D" slot.

I've since discovered Motion Pro makes a special tool for this, and also learned a pair of tweezers may work as well.

I live up in the Monument area, so if I'm unable to get her out myself, I may just take you up on your offer!

Thanks!

All,

I just bought a used 07' 450x (in stock condition), and was in the process of doing all my jetting mods last night (i.e., new pilot, new main, new leak jet, etc.).

To my surprise, when it came time to remove the stock fuel mixture screw (in order to replace it with an adjustable screw), I discovered there was no "slot" for a screwdriver in the base of the existing brass screw -- just squared off brass ... ???

Since I don't have a pair of needle-nose pliers that are thin enough to grasp the slotless fuel mixture screw, I'm not quite sure what to do in order to remove it ... looking to see if anyone has any experience/advice with this.

I've shot Eddie Sisneros a pm as well, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask for a other forum member's help/advice as well.

Thanks in advance ... I appreciate any suggestions.

Take the carb bowl off and it will be sticking out enough to easily remove it.

Thanks -- that was going to be my last resort, but I appreciate knowing that's a viable option.

I'll tell you one thing I'm quickly learning about the "x" -- I have a lot more room on my "r" to accomplish: 1) valve clearance checks/adjustments, 2) jetting adjustments, and 3) just about everything else which requires hands/fingers to be in/around the engine compartment. :busted:

Truly, no complaints at this end ... I know I've got a reliable ride for all my upcoming off-road adventures!