Sign in to follow this  

Metal pieces in oil. Need advice.

These metal pieces were found attached to my magnetic oil bolt. Not sure if it's anything to worry about. Any advice is greatly very appreciated.

2006 YZ 250. Everything is stock. Cases have never been split and clutch hasn't been changed.

metalinoil.jpg

That large peice on top looks like it could be a peice of on of your gears.

Time to split the cases!

I concur. I lost 4th gear on my 06 and the peices looked just like that.

Make sure to check both sides of the gear, pinon and trans gear side or better yet change them as a pair.

mmmmmm They are kind of Large !

Could i also suggest if you want to see if they are still ok then take it out for another ride with clean oil then drop it straight after and see if you get the same result....If you do then pull her down and if not then you can call it as to whether you do it or not .

for me i would also change the oil alot more often from here , and allows you to keep a close eye on it .

Regards Dazza

I would split the cases for sure. You would be out a day of riding tops if you ve all the tools to do it with and there wasn't an issue. However, if you have an issue and do not check on it, you could be donw for quite a bit longer. Get a gasket set and split the cases is my advice.

I hate to continue the trend of bad news, but those chunks came from somewhere. You're better off inspecting the gears.

Time to split the cases and perform a very careful inspection of the whole bottom end.

You will want to replace ALL bearings while in there. Don't worry if they check good now, just replace them and be safe.

Time to split the cases and perform a very careful inspection of the whole bottom end.

You will want to replace ALL bearings while in there. Don't worry if they check good now, just replace them and be safe.

That's the deal!:busted:

+1 on transmission parts. If you broke a clutch plate, they wouldn't be metallic and stuck to a drain plug magnet.

Post up some pictures of what you find in there.