Sign in to follow this  

NICE! 83 XL 600 with new muffler & jetting

Major cudo's to Horri for great advice on upgrading my orig muffler to a newer Honda muffler!!!! :busted: Specifically, I emailed Horri about his use of the stainless CRF 250 X muffler with the removable spark arrester, and decided to try it ($75 on eBay included shipping). So a friend and I bent 4 inches of pipe and welded it on along with a bolt to push the side cover away.

Sounds really nice without being loud (no spark arrester in) and is definitely more free flowing. Also previously removed intake snorkel and wire mesh behind foam filter. so far the bike definitely runs leaner but not much stronger.

So next came jetting. Since I ride mountain trails a occasionally, I wanted to be somewhat conservative but also want max power without issues. As many know the 83 has slightly bigger carbs and stock has 125 main in left and 112 in right carbs. I bumped the right one up to 118, then 120 and WOW- this BRP came alive! it pulls much stronger at all RPM's but especially WOT from cruising- low to mid RPM's. it's a kick and first gear wheelies are easier than ever with stock sprockets.

So here are a few questions if anyone has ideas on it: should I go bigger than 125 on the left? I read somewhere that going up 4 or 5 jets is normal but that seems like a lot. also, should I shim the L main to lower it or replace the needle jet with a thinner one? all this is just fine tuning- it feels 80% there (or more) on starting, idling and power, but I like to tinker in the winter to make it optimal. Thanks all and thanks Horri!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/img0100az.jpg/

One on the 86 XR600,,forget the XL seat and 500 sticker,,used to fool the law when I swap plates around between bikes..,too expensive to road legalize them all..,swap jobs easier and cheaper even if you get busted..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/img0102fn.jpg/ One on the XL600

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/img0175mf.jpg/

One on the 89 XR600,,Cush drive 500 wheel on that one,,Waiting on a Stator repair to finally put the wiring issue to bed. My muffler fitting jobs are all a bit bodgie so I'll be interested to see a proper mounting job done,,You can make a heat guard for them by using a bit of bent alloy and attaching it to the tabs on the outside of the muffler,,86 XR600 has one fitted,,others not yet..I'm also interested to hear how quiet the o/ps one is with the Spark arrestor in..,They are super quiet but feel a bit restricting to me with the arrestor in,,bit of modifying needed to achieve a good balance of noise and power,,might hack up one of the spare arrestors and see what I can find out noise wise,,.

Jetting question I can't answer,,,none of mine are jetted perfectly,,Experimentation is your best bet..

Edited by Horri

thunking about painting it black to look more original. And horri, the spark arrester is super quiet and does cut back the power a bunch in stock form.

Can see your pictures fine. Yep I think with a bit hacked off the internals of the spark arrestor it may let a bit more flow through.,,not sure how it'd affect the noise though as the original question was someone wanted a really quiet muffler,,they are certainly that with the arrestor in,,,If I knew for certain whether the CRF450-X ones come with the removable arrestor I'd recommend them as they are a slightly wider diameter overall.,.The 250s are good with the arrestor out but a tiny bit on the restricted side with it in,,Can tell if you have the bike idling and then stick the arrestor in,,sort of stifles the thing a bit,,450 may be better in that area..Re the painting,,Make a black anti burn guard up for it,,hunk of allow just bent to a half round,,mount it to that grommet looking thing and the one a bit further up..The rear end I just attached a grommet to the burn guard which just sits on the muffler,,the other two mounting points provide enough tension to hold the thing in place,,Better looking job yours than mine,none of mine are even welded,,just scavenged a bit of used exhaust from a shops bin and mickeyed it up to fit,,Push together type job with a bit of sealant here and there,,,Ok for the road but wouldn't handle hard dirt punishment..

sounds good Voodoolord, I'll look for the pix. let me know also how the jetting works out for you.

And Horri- the Trailer Park Boys are a riot- gotta love Bubbles. did you do any jetting? It sure made a difference for me, and I will continue to play with it.

sounds good Voodoolord, I'll look for the pix. let me know also how the jetting works out for you.

And Horri- the Trailer Park Boys are a riot- gotta love Bubbles. did you do any jetting? It sure made a difference for me, and I will continue to play with it.

I'm going to suggest what's left of the family buy me the complete DVD (Hamburger box) as a chrissy present,,if they fail I'll get it myself.

Yes I did a bit of rejetting.., basically just upped things to around 125-128 mains in both carbs and a bigger Pilot..,Didn't bother with needles as it's a pain changing them around,,The jetting could do with more fiddling but I'm just a bit lazy with carbs,,None of the bikes are running badly lean when I check plug colours so I'm sort of happy with that., The XL600 still does a bit of pinging in say 4th to 5th when under load (generally going uphill) and pulling hard,,rest of them don't.

Out of interest have you moved the needles clip position around at all,,If you have and it seems better I may shift them up a bit on my XL600 to see if it clears up that semi ping condition.,Bikes basically always pinged a bit in that 4th to 5th area even with the stock exhaust and jetting and still with the CRF muffler and larger mains..

Good luck on xmas. I have not moved the clip and wasn't sure if these had clips or if you needed to shim the mains. I also get no pinging (knock on wood) in higher gears but have had a bit of hesitation at times in the past. My biggest issue was the slow pull or acceleration- felt like a 600 should do better and now it does. I notice when I let off on the throttle it seems to slow the engine more quickly now, being un-corked and with bigger mains. I believe needle work might help that- not sure. all in all- runned very good. Also, silly question- does the 83 have a pilot or just the richness screw on the left side?

Pilots in one of the carbs,,can't recall which at the moment. There's a deep hole close to the main and it's in one of the holes,,bit hard to see..Only one Pilot for both the carbs..,It's just a normal screw head and is made of that brass so pretty weak..About a 3mm slot head,,Make sure you get a good quality screwdriver onto it and use plenty of downward pressure when unscrewing or you may strip the slot.,.I normally take the carbs out to change it,,not sure whether you could do it in situ,,tight and awkward getting things up from the bottom of the carbs when they're on the bike.., If yours starts ok I wouldn't worry about it too much..,,Needles got about four slot positions for you to choose from with the up/down ==> (richer/leaner) setting..,Bit fiddly getting to the needles ,,sort of why I haven't touched them..

The pilot is in the main. You can remove it while the carbs are on the bike with a short screwdriver.

my msg this morning didn't go thru. good luck on Xmas. Nope, I have not moved the needle clips- actually wasn't sure if they had clips, but I believe you. other option is shimming the mains. I have not had any recent pinging issues, just slow to accelerate until it was "un-corked". Does the 83 have pilot jets or just the richness screw on the left? I seem to notice quicker deceleration when I let off the gas which could be needle jet not letting enough in.

All 600s have Pilot jets,,Good luck getting at it from the bottom inspection hole,,at the least I'd expect you'd need to remove whatever bowl on whatever side the main carbs on,,That may be the Right hand side..

Got that wrong,,just checked a set of carbs,,Left hand side is correct..

OEM Pilots are becoming hard to get from Honda for the twin jobs,,lack of choice ,,If needed you can run one of these..apparently they don't fit exactly right but work ok..

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Keihin_Pilot_Jet_N424-22_C82.cfm

OEM Pilots are becoming hard to get from Honda for the twin jobs,,lack of choice ,,If needed you can run one of these..apparently they don't fit exactly right but work ok..

I ordered the stock pilot from Honda. The only issues was them getting me the right one. Other than that their still available.

good info Horri- thanks. The starting and performance is good, so I may not worry about upping the pilot. having the richness screw helps at idle. I will keep the pilot URL in case I decide to go that direction. I am going to try the mains at 125, 125 and see how she does. Thanks again.

good info Horri- thanks. The starting and performance is good, so I may not worry about upping the pilot. having the richness screw helps at idle. I will keep the pilot URL in case I decide to go that direction. I am going to try the mains at 125, 125 and see how she does. Thanks again.

I would get a pilot or two just in case. As has been said before the ethanol in gas eats the pilots up. I had a ridiculous time getting my bike to idle right until I replaced my pilot. I could have sworn there was nothing wrong with it but as soon as I replaced it the bike ran better.

Bdub600,,Take a look at these two pictures,,I've had a go at freeing up the flow without compromising noise much,,I can report good results,,Still sounds good but not quite as quiet with the arrestor in..I'm happy with it and she's still pretty stealth.,Definitely not as stifled with those two mods..,starts fine idles fine,,plenty of power still.,I'll be leaving the arrestor in from now on,,was always running with it out previously..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/img0178am.jpg/

Above ,,the originals on the leftt,,modified right,,Drilled about 12 holes in that bit you can see and filed those 4 centre parts out to as far as I could go with a square file..,That was my first effort at increased flow though it didn't seem to change things that much..Second thing in the picture below did..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/img0179qy.jpg/

Above,,Original left,,mod,,right..,Thats the end that fits deep inside the Muffler..,They are kinda loud with the arrestor out,,what I've done there is a really good compromise..,bit more noise but not as much as with it totally removed..,Try that first if you feel like it,,It's made the most noticeable change to things flow wise..

CRF450-X don't come with the removable arrestor in case any one wants to know..,250 only has the arrestor..,Always ask whether a CRF250-X Muffler comes with the arrestor should you ever buy one,,people seen to remove them ,,also when looking at a CRF250-X fiche they aren't even shown as a muffler part..,,apparently they don't exist in Hondas mind..

Edited by Horri

Thanks Voodoolord and Horri- I will check into a larger stock Pilot and consider opening up the spark arrester. I loke the sound without the SA and am surprised it's not louder- definately quieter that FMF and other aftermarket even w/o the SA. This is gat input for my winter fiddling (and preparing for summer). A close friend has an 87, which he bought to ride with me. we leave 300+ mile apart but get together a couple times a year to ride- and it is always WOT, going through the gears like teenagers. but next summer I expect to leave him in the dust; then and only then-help him un-cork his.