2012 KTM 300 XC or XC-W

I know this has been talked about already but I am still not sure of which would suit me better. I am coming off of a 01' CR 250. That bike was nice but was in need of a suspension re-valve. I ride mostly woods (some of which is pretty tight) and single track. I don't ride too aggressive but do like too keep a decent pace, and catch a little bit off air now and again. Now that both bikes come with a 6 spd i do not believe that will be much of an issue compared to last years 5 spd. I am 26,6'2" and 180lbs in my birthday suit, and do stand a fair bit while riding (may have been because my CR suspension was soo harsh). With my CR250 i found that when I came to a rocky section, the front end would deflect violently almost shaking my hand off the bars and tended to make the front end want to wash out. I know the XC-W comes with open cartridge forks and the PDS linkless suspension. I like the sounds of the plusher suspension but will it be too soft? Also how does the PDS compare too the new link type suspension found on the XC?, will it be good for rooty/rocky type trail riding? Are the new closed cartridge forks that stiff? I think I am just scared of buying a nice new expensive bike and still having stiff forks because the CR has left me scarred. Anybody that can give there $.02 about these bikes would be appreciative. I wish I could try these bikes out, but i will be purchasing in the US ( live in Canada) too save a few bucks so I'm relying on the internet to help me decide. Thanks.

Edited by celerypowered

This is what I have been told about the differance in bikes. I have only test ridden an XC-W in a parking lot, so I have little to no experience on a personal level.

The XC-W has a plusher susension, yes. However, some have stated that it does lack the ability to fine tune over the XC model. If you are willing to learn how to do it, or shell out the money to have it done, you can have the XC set up for you and not need to worry about either.

Moving forward, and concerning the linkage to PDS system. I have heard great things about both. have also heard that the linage does not transfer the bumps and hits to the frame like the PDS does, and I have also been told that the linkage allows more bounce. *shrugs* Again, the linkage system has a bit more ability to be fine tuned. I give 6 of one and a half dozen of the other myself.

Regarding the transmissions, the XC is a close ratio, which is similar to your CR250, but it adds a 6th gear. The XC-W is a wide ratio unlike your CR250 and may take a bit to get used to in the onset. However, most are very happy with the wider ratio of the gears. When I rode the XC-W I did notice a differance, but not one that could not be overcome in a short while.

I hope that helps a little.

Regarding the transmissions, the XC is a close ratio, which is similar to your CR250, but it adds a 6th gear. The XC-W is a wide ratio unlike your CR250 and may take a bit to get used to in the onset. However, most are very happy with the wider ratio of the gears. When I rode the XC-W I did notice a differance, but not one that could not be overcome in a short while.

I hope that helps a little.

This is actually not quite true..... Yes the XC is close vs XC-W is wide ratio, but if you do a search on here for the gear chart, you'll see quickly that the only real diff is that the W has a low first, the rest are very much the same.. This is only true for '11/'12 models.

This is actually not quite true..... Yes the XC is close vs XC-W is wide ratio, but if you do a search on here for the gear chart, you'll see quickly that the only real diff is that the W has a low first, the rest are very much the same.. This is only true for '11/'12 models.

Good info. You learn something new everyday. Thanks Wrfrk.:busted:

I think the XC is a better bike.. The tranny ratios are the same as the W for gears 3-6. 1st and second are a bit higher, but still right in there.. I rode W's for years.. This year I bought an XC.. The tranny is seamless and the gears seem to fit every situation.. The W gears seemed too gappy from 1st to second.. The link is much better than the PDS stuff.. I have been riding the PDS since 98 both stock and modified. .. I'll take the link any day and gladly do the maintenance..

actually, first AND second gears are different between the two.

Joe

I know this has been talked about already but I am still not sure of which would suit me better. I am coming off of a 01' CR 250. That bike was nice but was in need of a suspension re-valve. I ride mostly woods (some of which is pretty tight) and single track. I don't ride too aggressive but do like too keep a decent pace, and catch a little bit off air now and again. Now that both bikes come with a 6 spd i do not believe that will be much of an issue compared to last years 5 spd. I am 26,6'2" and 180lbs in my birthday suit, and do stand a fair bit while riding (may have been because my CR suspension was soo harsh). With my CR250 i found that when I came to a rocky section, the front end would deflect violently almost shaking my hand off the bars and tended to make the front end want to wash out. I know the XC-W comes with open cartridge forks and the PDS linkless suspension. I like the sounds of the plusher suspension but will it be too soft? Also how does the PDS compare too the new link type suspension found on the XC?, will it be good for rooty/rocky type trail riding? Are the new closed cartridge forks that stiff? I think I am just scared of buying a nice new expensive bike and still having stiff forks because the CR has left me scarred. Anybody that can give there $.02 about these bikes would be appreciative. I wish I could try these bikes out, but i will be purchasing in the US ( live in Canada) too save a few bucks so I'm relying on the internet to help me decide. Thanks.

From what I'm reading I think the w would be better...softer suspension and lower gearing for the first couple of gears.. I am probably going to get one of these 2 ktm's whenever I do leave my 01' cr set for trail. I am also cringing a bit at your description of your 01. Why haven't you just service your fork and shock on your 01? The bike will be like night and day better from what you have described. My buddy and I both have 01 crs set for trail and they are awesome great bikes for tight trail like you say.... A nice new ktm 300 is great but for a small fraction of the cost your 01 will be great. I just get the feeling that the suspension redo is just part of regular maintenance. For your money I think you'd do better to just do that first.:busted:

I read the article in Dirt Rider. Haven't seen Dirt Bike. What they did not talk about was how the bikes were set up and turning. I have a new 2012 250XC and the stock suspension is way out of balance front to rear and it won't turn. The front end wanders all over the place and deflects off everything. It is just slightly under sprung for my weight at 190lbs. I just went up one rate in the front and two on the back to see if i can get it better balanced. Hopefully the valving isn't too far off. I rode an XCW model and it is much better for single track/enduro type riding. Most of the guy's i know have the same impression and are riding the XCW's. I wish i had the opportunity to test ride them first as i would be on the W for sure.

Dave

Wow thanks for all the great input. I have read all the articles I could find on the two bikes but still couldn't choose. Yes blue is an option but I figured why not get the new frame?, seeing as the pricing is similar. I'm glad too hear that the xc-w really shines in the tight stuff. With regards to revalving the CR250, I've read multiple stories about the suspension still being too harsh even after being freshly rebuilt/revalved. Also that some folks swap 04+ forks which are suppose to be better, that has to be pricey tho. What do you think a worst case revalve would cost ~$1k? I just don't wanna drop that cash if the results are going to be minimal. But then again the only thing I don't like about the CR is the suspension, and if the results were night and day that would be great! Who wouldn't want to save 7k. Thanks again for all the helpful insite. Looks like I'll have to make some phone calls to some suspension shops. Anyone know a "good" one in Ontario?

Wow thanks for all the great input. I have read all the articles I could find on the two bikes but still couldn't choose. Yes blue is an option but I figured why not get the new frame?, seeing as the pricing is similar. I'm glad too hear that the xc-w really shines in the tight stuff. With regards to revalving the CR250, I've read multiple stories about the suspension still being too harsh even after being freshly rebuilt/revalved. Also that some folks swap 04+ forks which are suppose to be better, that has to be pricey tho. What do you think a worst case revalve would cost ~$1k? I just don't wanna drop that cash if the results are going to be minimal. But then again the only thing I don't like about the CR is the suspension, and if the results were night and day that would be great! Who wouldn't want to save 7k. Thanks again for all the helpful insite. Looks like I'll have to make some phone calls to some suspension shops. Anyone know a "good" one in Ontario?

I have spent $2000 plus on my 01 suspension with FIVE different tuners searching for plush, linear, root absorbing woods suspension. All but one of the tuners were very nice guys that gave me their best shot. I have either mush, wallowy suspension or stiff, jarring suspension that makes me want to take up bowling. NO HAPPY MEDIUM. I know CR suspension, been on CR250's since 86. Have had excellent results on previous bikes. I am not a nut who cannot be satisfied and have been at this a long time. Won the Senior expert class at the last ISDE qualifier in Houston(Caney Creek). I know how to set up a bike and ride. Several nice guys/tuners on this site have offered help but I am betting very tired of dismantling my bike and then being left at the altar. My 00 and now this 01 just do not seem to work for me. But I love the bike otherwise and am very stubborn. I would suggest finding an 01 revalved that someone is happy with, ride it and see if you like the feel. You may get your bike tuned to suit you, so far I cannot and have lost a LOT of money. More than the bike is worth. Good luck.

That's exactly what I am afraid of! I'd rather sell the CR for 2k and put the other 1k in suspension mods towards a new machine with suspension that is leaps and bounds ahead of my 01's. BTW this all started when my neighbour riding buddy said " hey lemme try that 2-smoker ". I then proceeded to hop on his 09' yz450f and WOW!! What a difference. Moral of the story don't hop a newer machine unless your ready to cough up?

LT Racing

balanced, wonderful tuning

we have some snotty rock infested root gardens here in Western Washington.

Les takes out of balance garbage and re builds/re-valves to your requirements

Only man that touches my suspension in ANY of my bikes over the years.

Folks that have ridden my Honda CRF-270x have commented that it is by far the best suspension for off road they have ever rode on.

Prices are reasonable and turn around quick, on and Les rides etc so he is also one of us....

?

HR