Sign in to follow this  

Local 13 yr old super mini phenom making leap to YZ125 this wknd

It's going to be a premix euphoria weekend at the local MX track. The area's #1 super mini racer is making the big leap to the Lites class, and he's chosen the YZ125. His family rides KX250F and 450F, and he had the option of the 250F.

He's short and undersized strength-wise (maybe 5' tall and 95 pounds) so the light weight of the two stroke will be a benefit, plus he's never owned a 4 stroke and felt the transition wouldn't be as easy.

I'll try and take some pics and see if the GoPro footage can be posted. Surely there will be some hard knocks (at Wednesday practice, the big crash had him Superman-ing and passing the YZ on the steep fast sandy downhill) and a steep learning curve against the 250F riders for a while but it shouldn't be long until he's in the Intermediate class.

I offered my YZ250 but one step at a time. :busted:

Nice! looking forward to seeing some vids, when kids jump up they seem to go faster!, my son just turned 12 and since last year he went through a growth spurt, was on 65 sized bikes and this year at 165 and 5'9" he went directly to big bikes and is having a blast on the YZ125!

Nice! looking forward to seeing some vids, when kids jump up they seem to go faster!, my son just turned 12 and since last year he went through a growth spurt, was on 65 sized bikes and this year at 165 and 5'9" he went directly to big bikes and is having a blast on the YZ125!

im trying to remember when i made the jump on to a 125? i know i rode one back when was 8-9 years old but i raced them full time in 96? you still got those pics?

im trying to remember when i made the jump on to a 125? i know i rode one back when was 8-9 years old but i raced them full time in 96? you still got those pics?

I still have the pics, you raced 125c class first race at 9 at the end of the 94 season.

Here is one I found from Phillipsburg Kansas 1994, your very first race on a 125, my 93 KX.

I will have to look for the other pics.

matthew9-94kx125.jpg

• Like 1