Sign in to follow this  

NOS engine still in crate for 78- 81 XL250

The only way I'd pay that much for the motor was if I had a PERFECT, UNRESTORED bike that needed a motor. That's an unlikely scenario, I think.

IDK, for a complete engine, the price is high. The value really is that it was a complete NOS engine. But then again, it has appeal to a very small and eclectic audience.

If I were restoring a bike, I'd be more inclined to rebuild the original engine. An engine like this does not have a serial number on it. The little rectangle will be blank, meaning the value of a bike it is installed in goes down.

But I am sure guy, someplace, has a warehouse full of stuff like this that will never see the light of day until he dies. I still have my grandfathers Gorham Black Starr watch. Falls in the same type of category.

A few years ago I stumbled upon a 72 SL250 NOS engine on ebay - knowing this is of course the XL250 sideport engine I bid and won and was also informed of the engines history. It had been installed in a motorcycle and in the back of a HONDA delievery truck to dealerships, back east, the 18 wheeler turned over and all of the bikes were written off by HONDA. A local community college contacted HONDA and requested some of the engines for small engine repair classes. Honda donated a few to them - one of them the SL250. The engine had never ran but had been apart and back together many, many, many, many times. When I got it I installed new gaskets and reassembled correctly. the internals were bright shiney new. The only damage was to engine fins and the side covers from the accident. To this day it runs, and as it is, a new one. With 300 miles on it.

So if you were doing a resto and want an easy way out and willing to spring for it the NOS engine in this thread may be well worth it. or not.....

I paid only a couple of hundred bucks for mine as it was hidden in listing as SL vs XL.... I got lucky.