Sign in to follow this  

300 or 250?

So after riding an 08 CRF450R for about a year, I have decided I want to go back to a 2 stroke. I want a bike that I can just go have fun on, and I would be riding dunes track trails and pretty much everything. So I am wondering about the 300XC, I have heard different opinions or it, that its an old mans bike and that its the best bike on the planet. So I guess my question is should I look for a 300 or a 250? I just want to hear your opinions

And I am 16, I love power but I hate 4 strokes, and I would probably be getting a 2008 or newer, and I am leaning towards a KTM if I go with a 250 also. And I used to have an RM250. If any of this random info helps haha

since i live in the northwest like you, and ride all the various terrain we are lucky to ride....the 300 would be slightly more versatile if you ride areas like Tillamook, gifford pinchot as well as wider open stuff at east fort rock and even more open like florence. the 300 handles all no problem.

Joe

The KTM 300 XC is the most versitile bike that I have ever ridden. I bought mine from a guy that rode only MX and I ride only trails. You can take it from the dunes to the track to the trail with a few clicks on the forks. One factor you may consider is that the XC transmission is exactly the same gearing as the SX...at least they were in 2007 and I would assume they are still the same. So, you might want the wider ratio XC-W in the desert..but that may be the only time you want the wider ratio. I ride mostly technical singletrack, so I rarely get into 5th, but when I do, the XC is not a speedy bike...quick, but not fast. The 250 XC is also a good bike...a bit more pipey than the 300.

since i live in the northwest like you, and ride all the various terrain we are lucky to ride....the 300 would be slightly more versatile if you ride areas like Tillamook, gifford pinchot as well as wider open stuff at east fort rock and even more open like florence. the 300 handles all no problem.

Joe

The 300 is rather slow and so is Joe. :busted:

You should just keep your CRF. :busted:

But really, hard to go wrong. You could just sleeve down and buy a 250 jug if you hate the 300 which prolly won't happen. :bonk:

This old man would have to agree that the 300 is a perfect bike for old men. I came off a KX450 before getting the 300 and I love it. That being said, I have no doubt that a “young” man would also love a 300 (or 250). The 300 can be more forgiving and more versatile than the 250 but both are fun at any age.

CoKTM

If you like a faster revving, farther revving bike, go with the 250. I did and I dont regret it. The 300 is awesome (I owned one also) but......it doesnt like to rev as far or as fast and because the motor produces a lot of torque its kinda boring to ride. They are both awesome bikes, you can always make a 250 into a 300 also. The 300 is not a beast to ride and super easy and for the type of riding you do, I would highly recommend one over the 250.