DRZ motard converted to Dual sport

• 4 months later...

I just converted my S to SM, Can i keep my S speedometer and have it working correctly with sm wheels, can i just buy a SM speedometer cable and hook it up with no problems or do i have to get an after marrket speedO??

No one has asked what the OP's plans are for the bike.

Pulse03,

Do you want to ride more dirt, or more street? If more dirt, then an S or E would be better suited (more suspension travel, better stock gearing, etc). If more street, SM (can be fairly easily converted to be more dirt friendly, USD forks, etc). S/SM are going to be slightly less powerful than an E model. Do you want to have 2 wheel sets, for dirt and street? Or 1 wheel set that can do both? Really all depends on what you want your bike to do.

I have an SM and rode only street for 2 years after I bought it. I converted it for dirt last winter (bought second wheel set in 18/21). Warp9 wheels with rotors and sprockets, 14/44 gearing, new chain, D606 tires, necessary bike armor and Trail Tech Voyager for around 1500. Drop the Voyager, separate sprockets and chain and you can get a knobbie setup for around 1000 or less, I wager. Look for a used set of S wheels and you can probably get an SM converted for much less than that even.

Edited by Jobistober