Sign in to follow this  

Jack too flimsy?

Remembered Harbor Freight was selling a cheap bike lift, and turns out they still were:

http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-motocross-dirt-bike-stand-66552.html

I know it says 350 lbs limit, but I figure after replacing the exhaust and taking bits and pieces off I cant be much over that. Anyone have any experience with using this? I know I should of just bought the $100 one, but funds are tight, and this is compact enough to fit in the truck of my car (aka my garage). I don't plan on leaving the bike on it over night, just to clean/grease the chain and not have to bend over so much. I figure it's better than the Home Depot bucket I've been using.:busted:

It says 11" minimum height, is that low enough to fit under your Z? I didn't buy the HF version but I also didn't think about the minimum height on the one I did get and now I have to lift it up onto the stand every time which kind of defeats the idea of a lift stand.

I've been using a standard 5 gallon bucket as a stand which is 14 inches, so even if it can't fit under, it will be lower I have to lift which will make my lower back much happier. I was half tempted to buy a fixed stand for the same price which I knew would hold my bike, so if this ends up being too tall or not sturdy enough I'll exchange it for the other stand.

It is cheap, but I don't have any problems using it for my DRZ, RM or RMZ. I did grease the walls to make it easier to lift though. I am careful when I work on the bikes too. I usually hook them with straps to bolts I put in the ceiling (in my basement-- wife would kill me if I worked on them upstairs!).

My stand is 11" and barely fits under my DRZ which is lowered 2". 11" will fit easily under a stock height DRZ400 E or S. Don't know about SM.

my roommate has this stand and it is AWFUL. it doesnt fit under my DRZsm without lifting the back up first, and its waaaay to flimsy to lift it. the steel of the lift just bends, and we had to drill out the pin hole because they never lined up right.

just spend the extra $30 to get a better lift you will regret this HF one.

i have one just like this that i got for around the same price from motorcycle super store. dont plan on using the lift leg for getting from the lower to the upper position with the bike on it, it wont work. i have to raise the lift to the higher possition ten lift the whole bike up onto the lift. kinda a pain but it holds the bike up off the ground when needed.

I have this one. The lift leg mounts ended up bending and bent the entire frame of the jack. I hammered it all back into the correct shape and then welded some flat steel to reinforce it. Works like a champ now, although it is a bit tricky to get the bike balanced front to back on it.

Oh, and the pin never lined up. I always just use an old screw driver that is just a tad smaller than the holes, which lines up since there is some wiggle room.

i have the HF bike lift and it picks up my 330 pound drz 400S enduroed out just fine. yes my lift arm bent too but only slightly. worth the 24 bucks .... would i spend an extra 60 for a nice one?... Nope..

I use this:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/-/-/-/-/-/-/186621/

Gets down to 9" and fits under the SM.

OK, but for $59...you can also have this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb...lift-2792.html

Like I posted earlier. 'Cycle World' December issue has a coupon to get the one in the link I posted from HF for $59...a great deal for those in need.