Sign in to follow this  

Any Front Brake Upgrades Out there?

I was wondering if anyone knows of any front brake calipers upgrades that would suit the sm?

Cheers.

stainless lines dont flex,pump,expand,when the brake is used like stock will so they are a performance upgrade.

a cheaper option is a braided line

best bang for your buck..you'd be amazed at the difference just with a SS line

I used a Motomaster caliper with a 320mm rotor for a while and liked it. Took it off because my bike has become more of an off-road machine and there isn't a bracket to run the Motomaster caliper on a smaller rotor.

I've also run the stock brake setup with and without a braided brake hose, the hose definitely perks the brake up.

Cheers guys, going to go with the braided line, see how it goes.

Apples to apples.. Meaning a new(ish) OEM line to a stainless steel line, same fluid, age, use, trapped air in the system. Unless you’re a top level racer at the pinnacle of your career. Most users would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

The Big user felt improvements when switching to a SS line come from, replacement of an old rubber line, replacement of old, fluid, removal of air from the system. All good things,, but understand why and what changed and how that improved the feel at the lever is just as important… IOW, it’s not just the magic of a SS line that did it.

Just for a reference point, I installed EBC Sintered HH pads, and a braided line. The performance improvement is substantial. However, I use the bike on a road racing track and I find the lever effort is significant. I may upgrade further. I am curious if anyone has used the Brembo RCS master cylinder with the stock caliper.

The current setup works well, but it is very high effort.

This setup works great for me....

1-11.jpg

EBC 320 rotor, Moose steel brake line and stock caliper with EBC pads. I'm not sure what more would be

needed unless your racing. If your looking to spend some big $$$ you can start here... http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto-Brake-Kits-s/2009.htm

How it his combo working for you ?

I recently installed a EBC 320 rotor with a Braking caliper adapter but the pads are have not good contact on the rotor :

IMG_4379.jpg

What caliper adapter are you using ?

How it his combo working for you ?

I recently installed a EBC 320 rotor with a Braking caliper adapter but the pads are have not good contact on the rotor :

IMG_4379.jpg

What caliper adapter are you using ?

I don't remember... It came with this package...

http://www.motostrano.com/EBC-Supermoto-Brake-Kit-p/17110563.htm

Works great!! Maybe you can contact Motostrano and they can hook you up with a proper adapter.

Braided brake lines are way better and feel better. The DRZ has a long line so it will show even more than on a street bike. An old rubber line will let you squish the lever into the throttle without getting full braking power.

Steve

The Big user felt improvements when switching to a SS line come from, replacement of an old rubber line, replacement of old, fluid, removal of air from the system. All good things,, but understand why and what changed and how that improved the feel at the lever is just as important… IOW, it’s not just the magic of a SS line that did it.

Very good point...

Just proper bleeding with good fresh brake fluid will improve the overall feel even with the stock rubber line. I recently did a fresh fluid and bleeding and it felt so much better, it felt like I had installed a SS line...

I'm not saying that there is not room for improvement over the original SM brakes (I'm planning a rotor, caliper and master cyl upgrade very soon...), just make sure you are getting 100% from the stock system.