Sign in to follow this  

Selling the 2 stroke, now what?

I have a KTM 200 that I basically turned into a full race bike, the motor rips. I want to go back to a 4 stroke now because I like doing long desert and baja rides. I want a 4 stroke MX bike that turns great and feels super light like my 200. I also ride a lot of single track, woods, MX tracks, sand dunes, and just about everything else. Im torn between a 450, the KTM 350, or a big bore 250f. I would like to move up and get something with more power. I dont care if it has FI, carb tuning is not a problem.

Ive been leaning towards a 2010-2012 YZ250f bored to 290, or big bore KX250f. But I dont know how reliable these would be, and how would the power compare to my 200??

Also, what is the lightest and best handling 450 made from 2006-09?

Please let me know what you think would work.

One of the guys I ride with has an 09 YZ250f with a 290 kit, FMF pipe, and ported head. That bike pulls hard and is a lot of fun to ride. He has even greared it up a bit and it pills the new gearing with no problem (at altitude). It has been stone reliable. It runs cooler than a stock bike and doesn’t have to be ridden as hard. I would love to ride an injected KX 250f with a big bore kit. I bet it would haul. Also, the new Husky 310 would be interesting to try out. 450’s are tough to beat but a punched out 250 is easier to throw around.

CoKTM

I think ANY 450 is going to feel like a tank compared to the 200. It's more than just the overall weight. You've also got the location of the mass up higher, and all those spinning parts. Why don't you just pick up a 450 for the desert blasts, and keep the 200 for everything else.

I would look for a 450 if desert riding is your thing. I have owned both 250 f and currently F/I RMZ 450 and I love the 450. If you were talking about tight trails I would say the 250. I would even look at a 500 2st. and a 500 AF would be cool. Good luck with your choice.

Think im going with a 450 because if i got a 250f i would want to spend tons of $ on it to get the right power. I've never owned a 450 but i've ridden several, and I know it will have plenty of power for the wide open stuff. The only thing im concerned about is weight and handling here. I keep hearing the RMZ450 is the best handling and most nimble 450, is this really true? I've seen some great deals on 08's, how much better is that than the 07? Is the first year of fuel injection something to worry about?

Think im going with a 450 because if i got a 250f i would want to spend tons of $ on it to get the right power. I've never owned a 450 but i've ridden several, and I know it will have plenty of power for the wide open stuff. The only thing im concerned about is weight and handling here. I keep hearing the RMZ450 is the best handling and most nimble 450, is this really true? I've seen some great deals on 08's, how much better is that than the 07? Is the first year of fuel injection something to worry about?

The 07 is a 4-speed the 08 is a 5-speed. That alone should be enough difference to stay away from an 07 for your type of riding.

CoKTM

You may want to rethink that decision. Here's why...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1028870

Just for thoughts, A friends GasGas 300 used 1/3 the gas than my sons KX250 did during a harescramble. My son used 2 tanks and this GG used barely 3/4 tank. Same laps, same speed. We rode together the entire race. I was on the GG.

Jetting and or carburetor differences? Weight of riders? Style of throttle application?