The new 250cc MotoGP 3 class

I was really enjoying watching the 125 2T MotoGP class. Sad to see it go.

I know MotoGP is making rule changes to make the racing more affordable. The one rule change that I am puzzled by is the 250cc class engines cannot be based on the 250F motocross engines. It seemed odd in both the cost of development and the ease of transferring new ideas back to the production 250F motors.

Anyone know the reasoning?

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/KTMS-ALLNEW-250cc-RACE-ENGINE-IT-SHARES-NOTHING-WI-8330.aspx

"Under Moto3 rules manufacturers are not allowed to use their 250cc motocross engines as a starting point for their Moto3 race bikes. So, KTM went back to the drawing boards to build a road race ready 250cc engine."

I was really enjoying watching the 125 2T MotoGP class. Sad to see it go.

I know MotoGP is making rule changes to make the racing more affordable. The one rule change that I am puzzled by is the 250cc class engines cannot be based on the 250F motocross engines. It seemed odd in both the cost of development and the ease of transferring new ideas back to the production 250F motors.

Anyone know the reasoning?

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/KTMS-ALLNEW-250cc-RACE-ENGINE-IT-SHARES-NOTHING-WI-8330.aspx

"Under Moto3 rules manufacturers are not allowed to use their 250cc motocross engines as a starting point for their Moto3 race bikes. So, KTM went back to the drawing boards to build a road race ready 250cc engine."

I'm not a KTM rider/racer . . . but, I'll say this, that KTM shown in that article is one SEXY looking cycle!!!

HB

It's probably to even out the R&D cost between manufacturers with dirt bikes and those without by making everyone start from scratch on engine development.

Also, Ducati already races WSB (as does almost all major manufacturers) and Suzuki pulled out of MotoGP because of Economic reasons and plans to return - http://www.gpupdate.net/en/motogp-news/271701/suzuki-pulls-out-but-plans-2014-comeback/

Next, would be Ducati giving up on MotoGP and going to WSB.

2012-ktm-moto3-race-bike-1.jpg

Going to take on hell of a skid plate if they put this in a MX bike.

More oil capacity at the bottom?

57279_moto3-links2.jpg_4896.jpg

The difference here is that this engine (the piston) almost lays flat to the ground and the exhaust routes under the engine like a early '70's two stroke, not verticle like a modern 4 stroke MX engine. In the end a purpose built road racing engine will be better as they normally stay higher in the rpm range. If they were forced to use a production based MX engine it would only save money and in the modern era of four stroke racing no one cares about saving money.

Want to see a strictly enforced production based MotoGP 250F class. With a 2 stroke option as well.

I would love to get back in to racing track,, would love to get my younger son out there.. But the cost to do anything more than just be on the track at the same time as the big buck teams is just not worth it to me anymore.

I got it.. a 4 stroke MX based motor is not a great base line motor.. but it’s produced, available, and affordable for the privateer.