Sign in to follow this  

640 LC4 E or Adventure?

Hey guys, so I am looking at getting rid of my CRF450R and getting a road legal dirt bike. I have been riding my bike on single track, fire roads, etc.

My brother-in-law got a KLR and well basically I want to hit up some rides with him and maybe do some longer rides as well.

From the research I've done, it seems like the 640E and Adventure are pretty much the same bike for the exception of the huge tank on the adventure. Is that right? Would I be able to put luggage racks on the 640 when I want to go on these longer rides?

I'm looking for a bike I could go on those rides as well as hit up the local trails every now and then. Am I backing up the right tree?

eplanajr: Well... It's one of those "right tool for the job" decisions.

I love the ability to mix it up on rides and each provides it's own flavor and purpose.

If you were to match tool-for-tool in this case the enduro would be that match (and of course closer to your current mount).

I never had an adventure but bought the "E" specifically to adventure with. ...and when properly equipped it does that well.

With exception to the range they are pretty equivalent bikes with the adventure winning on the road side of business. ...but with ~ 200 plus miles of range, after that this old man with a very calloused ass is ready to get off anyways.

...one can indeed make an adventure out of an "E". In fact you can make a supermoto out of them as well. My 05 SMC and "E" parts were entirely interchangeable.

Having had two pretty much new LC4s, I noticed that they really don't "break-in" (smooth out) until about 3K miles. Both bikes ran consistently smoother after about that mile mark. ...could be just my observation.

I bought my Y2K "E" in 09 with 210 miles on it. It's nearing 3K now and I'm stoked every time I ride it. It's much different than the dirt scoot. Get's some getting use to for weight, rider position and performance. The suspension is so plush I find myself sitting down a lot more. It'll go through light stuff faster than I'd ride my "X". I modded a few ergonomic things to make it more body friendly (larger pegs/brake extension). Geared it up for better road performance. Added a rack and tank/saddle bags and off we went !

Try it you'll like it !

Hwy36Pam_Bikes.jpg

Awesome post. Thank you for your information. Confirms/answers what I was thinking.

I own a 01 640e and with 11k still makes me smile every time i ride it.I have uncorked it and added a few items to make it more to my taste.One of the best mods i made was a guts racing seat foam and gripper cover.I have had zero issues with my bike.Also a 640 will SMOKE your buddys kawpie.RR

rumprump: So what did you do to uncork it ?

It has the FCR on it ? Mine has the BST - but it seems to work pretty well.

I actually bought a KTM soft seat and it wasn't any better. ...but my BOE is a dirt bike seat so consider the source.

I was considering taking the Supertrapp off, but it is so nice and quiet (in spite of the weight).

I rejetted the bst and it works great.I also opened up the airbox and muffler and regeared to 15-45.RR

Ahhhh... Okay. I went to the 16 CS sprocket (pretty much the same difference).

I removed the snorkel and vented the side.

Opened the muffler ? It was a Supertrapp ?

I can tell that the muffler is restricting it. I was looking for a replacement of some sort just to compare the difference.

I was actually thinking an "S" pipe from the SMC configuraiton and a Leo Vince (or equivalent).

I'm also looking into a different silencer.So far I can't make up my mind which one.Have you rejetted your bike yet?RR

where are you guys finding aftermarket parts for the lc4's? I have 99 640 and I can't seem to find any pipes, SM wheel conversions, even air filters other than OEM.

exhaust,big gun,akrapovic,fmf,pro curcuit, are just a few places.you can also get a supertrapp isde silencer to replace your stock unit.i'm still not sure which one i will purchase.RR

How many miles should i excpect to get out of a LC4? I am looking at buying a 00 640 adventure with 16000 miles on it for 2500. Good deal or not?

exhaust,big gun,akrapovic,fmf,pro curcuit, are just a few places.you can also get a supertrapp isde silencer to replace your stock unit.i'm still not sure which one i will purchase.RR

I was seriously considering putting the SMC split pipe with dual Akros on mine. The SMC not only sounded sweet, but dang, it was (fun factor fun) front wheel in the air as soon as you let the clutch out.

Granted it had the 41 FCR on it but I'm not quite sure the off the bottom response is a good trade for overall off-road rideability and mileage benefits of the BCR.

The other trade would be the 39mm FCR vs the 41 FCR.

I'm too lazy to work on em. I just wanna ride.

How many miles should i excpect to get out of a LC4? I am looking at buying a 00 640 adventure with 16000 miles on it for 2500. Good deal or not?

It sounds good to me. There are thread records of three times (3X 16K mi) that mileage on some.

Which (3X 16K mi) is probably an exception, but still... How many bikes get what that one has and still ticks with some level of confidence ?

Not to mention that with some work you'll get much more than that and for $2.5 K ? I'd be all over it.

do you guys have any websites or dealers that sell aftermarket exhaust for the 99 lc4 640? getting frustrating not being able to find anything up the supertrap slip on

I found a british company that sells lc4 exhaust.quill is the name and it looks like there s.s silencer for around $260 usd.I will be doing more reseach and possibly purchase one.has anyone else had any experience with quill exhaust.RR