Sign in to follow this  

California New Rider, where to ride?

So I recently purchased a YZ250F and I am looking for some advice on the best place for me to ride this weekend (Sunday 11/20) in Southern California. I am pretty much a complete bigger other than taking it up and down the street a few times getting used to getting into first and second gear so I have considering the some of the local tracks due to how close they are but not sure if I am ready yet.

A couple of places I have looked into are: Pala Raceway, Milestone, Wildomar Trails, San Jacinto Trails, Ocotillo Wells. I am located in Murrieta so Ocotillo would be quite a drive but it seems like one of the better places for getting comfortable on a bike.

How busy are the local tracks on a weekend, I am guessing that it would be too busy for a beginner like myself to comfortably get out and ride without constantly be blown past?

Please feel free to throw out any recommendations or suggestions on the best places for me comfortably ride and learn the basics. Thanks.

welcome and corgrats on the new bike!

for your safety and the safety of others I would not recomend going out on a track till you have a few rides in you and you feel comfortable with the bike. best bet would be to find a nice wide open area and just cruise around getting the feel for everything.

as far as riding areas near you I'm sure someone will chime in and have some local knowlage for you.

good luck and be safe! don't forget wear ALL your gear! Gravity hurts!

Where do you live? Like mentioned, get out on some nice and easy stuff to start...the desert is great as long as you stick to the easier stuff. I wouldn't want to hit a track until I felt pretty comfortable with all the basics, and then some.

Where do you live? Like mentioned, get out on some nice and easy stuff to start...the desert is great as long as you stick to the easier stuff. I wouldn't want to hit a track until I felt pretty comfortable with all the basics, and then some.

I live in Murrieta. Yeah I agree with the track thing, just wanted to get some input from a few other riders.

I live in Murrieta. Yeah I agree with the track thing, just wanted to get some input from a few other riders.

You're a bit far from me and the areas that I would suggest trying out. Try posting up a beginner ride thread specifying your area and hook up with some other guys getting started . . . hopefully you'll get lucky like I did last year and hook up with some good people that you can ride with . . . you'll probably even find some seasoned guys that are willing to take it easy on you and show you the ropes, areas, etc . . . as long as you don't mind them taking advantage of photo ops when you have a dirtnap!!! Good luck with the new toy . . . have a blast and be safe. Really try to find a good group to fall in with as you really don't want to ride alone.

You can always go to Milestone and just practice riding all around there, its big enough where you can just cruise around and get the hang of being on dirt, cause i know that place is like 30 minutes away from murrieta, so that would be close, but yeah, dont go on a track yet, unless its a beginers one and you will be the only one on there, that way you can take your time.

otherwise, id drive out to a nice flat spot, thats how i learned a few months ago.

+ you can go fast.

Are you learning alone or you got a buddy to go out with you? If you're just working on getting used the the fundamentals like shifting than a track is definitely not where you want to go. A nice dry lake bed or open area is what you need. How far do you consider a long drive? Murrieta really isnt too far from ocotillo for nice desert riding. Try looking into el mirage or johnson valley maybe. I went out to barstow last weekend for a super easy ride with a buddy coming back after an injury and his wife on a new quad. Let me tell you..it couldnt be any slower. A week earlier on your post and we could have met out there. It would have been perfect for you.

Are you learning alone or you got a buddy to go out with you? If you're just working on getting used the the fundamentals like shifting than a track is definitely not where you want to go. A nice dry lake bed or open area is what you need. How far do you consider a long drive? Murrieta really isnt too far from ocotillo for nice desert riding. Try looking into el mirage or johnson valley maybe. I went out to barstow last weekend for a super easy ride with a buddy coming back after an injury and his wife on a new quad. Let me tell you..it couldnt be any slower. A week earlier on your post and we could have met out there. It would have been perfect for you.

Thanks for the information, yes I will be riding alone, may have a buddy come out with me but he won't be riding so would just be hanging out at the truck in case I run into any problems. From what I hear it definitely sounds like the trip to Ocotillo Wells is probably worth it.

Even though you are new to riding, I think you would be fine riding Milestone's beginner track. Very easy and wide. Just stay out of the way and you'll be fine. Not too far from you too. Just go have fun.:lol:

Even though you are new to riding, I think you would be fine riding Milestone's beginner track. Very easy and wide. Just stay out of the way and you'll be fine. Not too far from you too. Just go have fun.:lol:

Thanks, just watched a few videos of there Entry Level Track and it looks like a good place to start. Also spoke with some guys there that said tomorrow morning should be pretty quite since there is a race on one of the other tracks so I will be there with my blue YZ250F still has a number 19 number plate on it from the previous owner if anyone is heading out there and wants to say hey.

bryce, ever consider el mirage? it will be packed next weekend but other than that its a great place to learn the ropes...PM me i ride there from time to time

Bryce, I would be glad to go riding with you. When I go out with my family it is always a blast. Merietta is a drive to the desert but so is OC for that matter. I will hit you up next time I run about. I am heading to Spangler for a Tday get together but that is a haul for a day ride. I'll keep you posted the next time I hit a local desert. As far as Milestone, I hope you are ritch, 45 bucks to sign up and ride and 25 each time after unless you buy the yearly. Not worth it to me and my kids as it is to far and I am a free rider not a trackie. Keep in touch when I ride nobody is left behind.

Went riding at Milestone last Sunday, had a great time on the entry level track, got the hang of it pretty quickly. Planning on going out again this Sunday if anyone else is heading out, I'll be on the blue yz250 number 19 feel free to stop by.

Also I may be looking to do a desert trip with a group as I certainly don't want to head out alone, if anyone is planning on making a trip out one of these coming weekends let me know, feel free to shoot me a PM or just reply to this thread.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Went riding at Milestone last Sunday, had a great time on the entry level track, got the hang of it pretty quickly. Planning on going out again this Sunday if anyone else is heading out, I'll be on the blue yz250 number 19 feel free to stop by.

Also I may be looking to do a desert trip with a group as I certainly don't want to head out alone, if anyone is planning on making a trip out one of these coming weekends let me know, feel free to shoot me a PM or just reply to this thread.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Hello Bryce, you're in luck! There is an easy dez ride set up for Saturday 12/3. Joe (Schmo) will be breaking in a 250 2 stroke so we'll be taking it easy. There's another thread (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027705) titled easy rides or something like that where you can find some more info on where to meet and what time. This would be a perfect time to get a dez ride in at an easy pace.

Edited by travelinman
Adding Link