I want to race D37....where do I start?

As the title says.....I want to enter some D37 races. Would like to do the whole 2012 season next year.

What is my first move? Join AMA then D37? What class should I put myself in? Im 30...bout to turn 31......30+ beginner? Novice? Or the reg non-vet classes?

Never done any kinda dirt bike racing...but have been riding many years.

Not sure how the points system works as far as the different kind of races.

Point me in the right direction,thanks.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my first race last year with D37 and a group of guys from here on TT and it was a blast. Like mentioned you need a D37 and AMA membership . . . you can do that online or just show up early and get signed up before the race like I did. I've only been riding for about a year and am 36, I went with Novice as they don't let Beginners do everything . . . in the race I did, the beginners only did one loop where the Novice and others got to do two loops, the second being the more challenging. Have fun, hope to see you out there at a couple events next year!

I did my first race last year with D37 and a group of guys from here on TT and it was a blast. Like mentioned you need a D37 and AMA membership . . . you can do that online or just show up early and get signed up before the race like I did. I've only been riding for about a year and am 36, I went with Novice as they don't let Beginners do everything . . . in the race I did, the beginners only did one loop where the Novice and others got to do two loops, the second being the more challenging. Have fun, hope to see you out there at a couple events next year!

Thanks. Kinda what I was wondering about Beginner...I dont want to do only the easy stuff. How competitive were you in the Novice class and did you go with the 30+ vet? Also do they move you up if you place well a few times or how does that work? Heading over to the site to get an AMA membership right now.

How competitive were you in the Novice class and did you go with the 30+ vet? Also do they move you up if you place well a few times or how does that work?

Yeah I'll take the 5th on that question . . . I had fun and finished the race . . . competitive . . . yeah not so much :busted: I wasn't really there to race and with my skill level, really have no business trying. It was just something I wanted to do more for the experience and fun with buddies. I did go with the 30+ Vet class. Not sure about the placement as I request to be at the back of the pack where I belong as to not be a hazard to real racers:moon:

Thanks. Kinda what I was wondering about Beginner...I dont want to do only the easy stuff. How competitive were you in the Novice class and did you go with the 30+ vet? Also do they move you up if you place well a few times or how does that work? Heading over to the site to get an AMA membership right now.

I plan on doing some D37 races next year. Probably be in the same class as you, Vet 450 novice. Looks like a lot of fun. I just hope my bike and I are up to the punishment? If you live near Simi Valley area let me know.

what KIND of d-37 races are you talking about? enduros, hare scrambles, gp's, hare and hound, moto ...???? different types of racing....

I like gp's, enduros are cool if you have someone that knows how to keep time, I don't like desert bomb starts (trying to go fast when I can't see 20' infront of me ain't my thing). I'd say try an enduro....

another racing option is the worcs series. they run a tight program, have classes for everyone and have great race locations all over socal, az and nv. www.worcsracing.com

You can't win the race in the bomb start but you can lose it...there is 80+ miles left in the race. I never go balls out in the bomb if it's dusty

True and not true. If it's a Euro scramble you better be in the front, especially if it's very dry with no wind. sucking dust for one hour sucks.?

On a long race you are pulling away if you're out in front, while everyone else is going slow in the dust. But there is always time to gain ground, especially on the second loop. Ability and conditioning play a huge part.

The Gorman Qualifire in May is a good one to get your feet wet. I did that last year and loved it. Even though my torn up knee gave me problems, everyone passed me, but, I did finish both loops, not everyone did. I'm fairly new, and signed up as Mag novice (over 50) so I could do both loops. They had some terrific tracks. went through the hills, sand, rock washes, abit of everything. with my knee pain, I should of stopped, but everytime i turned a corner and saw where the route was bringing us, I got a big grin, and continued. a fun race, a good one to get your feet wet.

True and not true. If it's a Euro scramble you better be in the front, especially if it's very dry with no wind. sucking dust for one hour sucks.?

On a long race you are pulling away if you're out in front, while everyone else is going slow in the dust. But there is always time to gain ground, especially on the second loop. Ability and conditioning play a huge part.

True statement. At the Vikings national this year I was in the top 3 at the end of the bomb and it was nice...real nice. At Socal I got a mediocre start and wadded up pinning it through the dust about a mile past the bomb. At 100's I wadded at the end of the bomb doing the same thing and watched a top 10-15 start go to an end of the pack start just like that. But like you said, if you can ride smart and conserve energy you'll pick people off like crazy in the second loop. Being in decent shape is the only reason I was able to salvaged decent finishes in these last 2 races. I'm still learning to ride smart ?

I found exactly the thread I was looking for...

When does the District 37 race calendar come out for 2012 ? All I could find was the calendar for 2011...

Also, would love to here what and where you guys are riding on the weekends??

I found exactly the thread I was looking for...

When does the District 37 race calendar come out for 2012 ? All I could find was the calendar for 2011...

Also, would love to here what and where you guys are riding on the weekends??

Looks like there is one in this thread http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45992&page=2&highlight=2012+schedule I have not attended my clubs meetings, looks like we have 2 races on there:banghead:

Looks like there is one in this thread http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45992&page=2&highlight=2012+schedule I have not attended my clubs meetings, looks like we have 2 races on there:banghead:

I thought the second date was just a place holder in case we lost our normal January date due to the BLM, but I could be wrong.

I thought the second date was just a place holder in case we lost our normal January date due to the BLM, but I could be wrong.

Good that makes sense. I thought the BLM made us secure a permit like a year in advance and turn all of our route info to them then:excuseme: I know the date was a conflict as they (the BLM) have to baby sit all of the degenerates on holiday weekends........

I thought you were only in the club when you needed Gimpy or I to haul out your trailer!?

Yeah, wrong, not our date. No worries, no additional work for any of us.

The full and complete (well, it was when we approved it) 2012 calendar is set and getting printed. It should be published very soon, most of the clubs are done with their changes.

To the OP, I can help. As others have said, you will need an AMA card and D37 license. Sign up in the novice class, IMO the beginner class is a waste. Limited course, no points, virtually no repeat competition.

As far as the races to try, there is something for everyone. To start, I would go with an enduro. You get to "trail ride" the courses for a little and "race" them a little. The United MC enduro in January is a great event, I have heard. I can't say I have personally run this event though...

A hare and hound is a "race". Banner drop to checkered flag. They will generally start with a bomb run, which is about the biggest rush you can get, as well as make you want to sell your bike. It all depends on your start. Plan on 80+ miles, with 40 or so of them being pretty tough.

A dual euro is a much shorter race, but the same concept of bomb start to checkered flag. You will be going for an hour, 2-3 laps around a 10 or so mile course with easier terrain.

A GP is a semi-moto race with other aspects such as off road, pavement or endurocross thrown in. An hour long sprint, and a lot of fun.

A qualifier is an enduro-esque format, based around short, timed sprints and your cumulative time is added up to make your score.

I have done almost every event on the D37 calendar at one time or another. My favorites are the GPs (I like a little moto, and my kid can race the youth classes) and the enduros (nice ride, with friends, with great use of the trails and an extremely tough 3rd loop for qualified riders). There are a couple races that are always quality events like the VCMC qualifier in Gorman in May (love the format and railing some of the trails) and Checkers H&H in February (another club that puts a ton of effort into finding the best trails possible). If you have a bunch of friends that go out with you, or you can hook up with a club you enjoy hanging around with, the dual euros are a good weekend with some racing thrown in, RUTS in June always does a good job. The National Hare and Hounds also have a pretty electric buzz around them, but they are some of the tougher races on the schedule.

Ride on the weekends? Huh? If I am not racing, it seems I am out in the desert laying out a loop for our enduro. If you couldn't tell by the bustin' balls, I am a member of United MC along with a couple others on this thread. We would welcome you to try our event in January.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

True statement. At the Vikings national this year I was in the top 3 at the end of the bomb and it was nice...real nice. At Socal I got a mediocre start and wadded up pinning it through the dust about a mile past the bomb. At 100's I wadded at the end of the bomb doing the same thing and watched a top 10-15 start go to an end of the pack start just like that. But like you said, if you can ride smart and conserve energy you'll pick people off like crazy in the second loop. Being in decent shape is the only reason I was able to salvaged decent finishes in these last 2 races. I'm still learning to ride smart?

This is where a lot of guys have trouble, they don't condition themselves. I was in good shape when I raced, but I'm in better shape now. Lost 22lbs and I ride my bike like mad. At 53 I'm only 10lbs over my high school weight. But I'm not done yet. My secret formula for weight loss is I stopped eating white flour, wheat bread, and gluten.

This is where a lot of guys have trouble, they don't condition themselves. I was in good shape when I raced, but I'm in better shape now. Lost 22lbs and I ride my bike like mad. At 53 I'm only 10lbs over my high school weight. But I'm not done yet. My secret formula for weight loss is I stopped eating white flour, wheat bread, and gluten.

Sounds paleo(esque)