Sign in to follow this  

JD Jet Kit/Desmog Qs

ok so i almost have it done.. but every video i watched and description i've seen doesn't seem to tell what happens to these 4 spouts.. can someone please tell me where each of these 4 lead to?? please give as much description (and pix if possible) as you can.. i'm clueless for these 4. thx guys. much appreciated as always!

my pix aren't uploading for some reason, tried everything sry.. but i'm referring to the double spout directly to the right of the choke, and the double spout to the right of where the idle cable enters the carb. sry, i'm sure there's better ways to explain this, still learning.. thx guys!

I think you are referring to the carb breather hoses. In stock form all 4 route to the bottom of the swingarm near the shock mounting point and hang just below. Some people, me included, like to route one breather hose form each side up into the air box. So you get 2 hoses going down to the swing arm and 2 going up into the air box.

I think you are referring to the carb breather hoses. In stock form all 4 route to the bottom of the swingarm near the shock mounting point and hang just below. Some people, me included, like to route one breather hose form each side up into the air box. So you get 2 hoses going down to the swing arm and 2 going up into the air box.

thats exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot..

i have one more question regarding the JD Jetting needle. everywhere i read says to have the c clip in the "3rd notch down", including the instructions. also that its supposed to come shipped with this default setting. (im at 700 ft altitude) but mine came shipped in the 4th notch down, as in the 4th actual slot from the top. need to to clarify if "3rd notch from top" actually means 4th notch down, or did mine come shipped with it one notch too low?? thx for the help. trying to get this back together today..

Sounds like yours came shipped in the 4th notch. This is actually how I run mine. I'm at about 500ft and the jetting feels spot on. The 4th clip position is slightly richer than the 3rd and I would rather be rich than lean at wide open throttle.

Sounds like yours came shipped in the 4th notch. This is actually how I run mine. I'm at about 500ft and the jetting feels spot on. The 4th clip position is slightly richer than the 3rd and I would rather be rich than lean at wide open throttle.

once again, exactly what i needed. now i can start slappin this thing back together.. i feel the same way, better safe than sorry.. and we're both at about the same elevation so.. you really saved me buddy. should be up n runnin by tomorrow! can't wait.. thx again..

update: wow this thing runs so awesome now.. it's like a different bike.. night and day with the JD Jet kit.. i do have one issue when i hit the gas from idle, like the first 1/8 throttle, it wants to die just a little bit. i messed w/ the fuel mixture screw and that didn't seem to affect it much, maybe a little. think i landed at 3/4 out for now where it seems to be the best. but it still wants to die a bit when i hit the throttle kinda fast from idle. any ideas?

turn out the mixture screw a little more..like a turn out.mine did the same thing.had a tiny pop on decel and a little hestation,,not any more

turn out the mixture screw a little more..like a turn out.mine did the same thing.had a tiny pop on decel and a little hestation,,not any more

ok i'll give that a try, let you know how it goes.. don't think i went out quite that far yet.. thx..

Did you change your pilot jet to the 42 or are you still running the stock 48?

42 w/ blue needle.

fyi to jimjim180, turned the fuel screw out another turn and the hesitation is practically gone, may need to go another quarter turn or so.. thx for the tip..

ok, sounds like you were probably too lean off idle. I'm turned out 1.75 turns from seated and there is no bog.

You blocked off the nipple where one of the smog tubes was hooked up right at the intake port (after the carb), right?

Also, are you running the stock plugged exhaust or did you decork it?

ok, sounds like you were probably too lean off idle. I'm turned out 1.75 turns from seated and there is no bog.

You blocked off the nipple where one of the smog tubes was hooked up right at the intake port (after the carb), right?

Also, are you running the stock plugged exhaust or did you decork it?

yes, that big spout sticking out the opposite side of the choke if blocked off. and i ran the breather hoses you mentioned. the two pointing straight up (one on each side) went into the air box, and the two point pointing straight back (one on each side) hang down into the trail arm..

yes the exhaust has been decorkafied..

one thing about the hoses into the air box.. the only place i could find into it was up on top in that groove that a few electrical wires run through. it takes you just above the air filter. should those hoses be INSIDE the air box, or doesn't it really matter? can't see any way in doing that unless i drill holes and silicone seal them or something..

Lets make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to the nipple/hose on the actual intake port, (not on the carb where the crank/trans breather hose attaches). You can see me pointing a pencil to it here. Notice that mine is blocked off by a bolt.

6378074983_4942a8e541.jpg

This is the more important one to have blocked off.

The one on the carb that linked to the crank/trans breather hose has no impact on performance. People reroute it just so that oil which get blown out through the breather doesn't get dumped back into the carb.

For the other carb vent hoses that you have running up, I ran mine right along the electrical wires and into the air box, then pointing down along the battery.

Lets make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to the nipple/hose on the actual intake port, (not on the carb where the crank/trans breather hose attaches). You can see me pointing a pencil to it here. Notice that mine is blocked off by a bolt.

6378074983_4942a8e541.jpg

This is the more important one to have blocked off.

The one on the carb that linked to the crank/trans breather hose has no impact on performance. People reroute it just so that oil which get blown out through the breather doesn't get dumped back into the carb.

For the other carb vent hoses that you have running up, I ran mine right along the electrical wires and into the air box, then pointing down along the battery.

oh yea sry, the one off the cylinder block. yes that one's blocked.. and it sounds like i ran the hoses to the same place too.. i should be all set for now.. thx again for the help..