Sign in to follow this  

metal in oil filter on 01

so the bike has about 250 hours on it and ive never adjusted a valve let alone put new piston and rings it. its just started getting oil shavings in the oil filter. what do you think it is? obviously some thing is worn at that many hours. worth fixing? how long could i ride it before she blows? i think it might cos the cam chain is stretched it's slapping against something. could i get away with just replacing the piston, rings and cam chain? or would i have to rebuild the bottom as well. its still got great compression. i guess ten years of maintenance free riding has finally caught up to me

Oil shavings in your Oil filter.... hmmm good thing it's not metal shavings.

If you had metal shavings it would be time to pull it down!

I would go with piston and rings, cam chain and guides. you will have to make the decsion to go further based on what you find at that point.

Just about to do my '08 WR the same with 200hrs on it. (no sign of metal in the oil though!)

how long could i ride it before she blows? -until she blows!

worth fixing? - now, but not if she blows!

i think it might cos the cam chain is stretched it's slapping against something. -probably

10yrs of fun on her she is due some love!

yes i ment metal shavings. how can i tell if the guides are worn? how many hours can until you should replace the crank? what about the valves? not worth putting in new top end if the crack gives way 10 later

Only you can decide where to stop -re doing a bottom end.

I know how hard I work my bike and how I maintain it, I also have a pretty good feel for when performance drops off.

How long I leave bottom end etc is at my own risk as I am the one paying the bills and doing the work.

You do need to find the cause of the metal in your oil and what I suggested was what I would do in your situation as a minimum.

the top end is all ill do. its not worth doing any more as i would have to put into the shop which will cost what the bike is worth. my 2010 yz250f has just hit 50 hours so ill put a new top end in that and then maybe the 2001 as well