WP 5018 PDS shock

mog ive never touched the shock, and something else I was also going to ask you was while I have the shock apart I was thinking of getting a slight valving changed I want it plusher on high speed hits and bumps and ive heard dwight rudder say that these shocks have to much high speed valving and get 30% of it removed what do you think

what bike and year, your weight and speed? i would never recommend a pds to service if you have not done many shocks before, they need a few special tools and are a real pain to bleed, i would pay someone to do it unless you plan to do one a week(ie thats how many you need to do , to make it worthwhile to invest in the kit needed)

any ideas how I could explain this in the best possible way to my tuner is it really just as easy as saying " I want this % of high speed valving removed " what else would need to be done would the rebound or low speed need to be touched

Honestly I don’t find that servicing the KTM shock to be that difficult. Probably the hardest thing is to install a sharader valve. There is some debate that a bleeder is required for the shock but I find that if you take your time when pouring in the oil and closing it up a bleeder is not necessary. In the worse cases, I sometimes let the shock sit overnight before closing it up just to ensure the bubbles are out. If you lived locally I would invite you over and service your shock for you.

In my experience these shocks should have the oil changed out roughly every 30 hours if you ride MX and I am guessing about 50-60 hours for off road. I ride a lot of MX and at 30 hours I find myself to start to turn in the compression clickers to compensate for the failing oil.

I don’t see why you could not ask a tuner to reduce the high speed compression by a percentage rather then remove this shim or that one. At least that way he can adjust the shim stack based on your impute to get you what you want.

if I was taking it to a tuner I would explain what I want and let him

work his stuff , you don't go to your doctor and tell him

your diagnosis , you tell him your symptoms and let him choose the best route of action , the PDS is hard to get parts for ( funny shims on later ones) ,harder to improve , hard to bleed, harder to set the n2 piston than a bladder and harder to gas , apart from

that its a doddle ;-)