Sign in to follow this  

What bike for me ?

I am an Enduro rider used to the big thumpers (last 3 bikes KTM 530, Husaberg 570 Husqvarna TE510). Loved em all, but a serious knee operation (High Tibial Osteotomy for those curious), has left me with doctors advice not to ride like I did before. Still ride, but keep it all safe and easy.

Well I thought about his advice and it's a bit hard to take as when I have a thumper between my legs all I want to do is twist that throttle and throw some roost. The result could be no more leg if I do come off at speed, so my best bet is to not tempt myself and get something not so powerful but still a heap of fun.

Trails riding is a sport I have tried (Not competively) and I loved the thrill of it. It was over 20 years ago on an old Bultaco Sherpa-T.

My question is:

What sort of trials bike on the second hand market would be a good buy for a non competitor looking to have some fun at local haunts ?

250 ? 280 ?

Brand ?

How old ?

What to look for as far as wear and tear on the bike ?

I weigh in at 88kgs or 195 pounds and 6' 1"

Thanks in advance for those taking the time to respond. :busted:

What size... 250 or 280 or 300. Since you have been riding big bikes in the past clutch and throttle control wont be a big deal for a big motor trials bike for playing around. If a bigger bike has too much getup you can always tame them down with a slow turn throttle and flywheel weight and thicker base gasket.

Brand... take your pick. All the brands have their own quirks and in all the research I did in buying my bike I didnt see one being better than another when comparing the big 3 brands meaning Montessa, Gas Gas, and Beta.

How Old... Anything 2001 and newer. These bikes have much better frames, suspensions, and motors compared to older bikes. Also parts are much easier to get for the newer bikes. Bikes in the early '00s are available for $1500 to $2500.

What to look for.... All the typical stuff just like on any bike. Rims arent bent too badly, frame isnt cracked, its not leaking oil. Trials specific... The rear suspension linkage, check for loose or bent components as the rear suspension really takes a beating.

I picked up my 01 Gas Gas TXT 280 for $2k 5 months ago to use in help with physical therapy of my broken leg (femur, tib/fib) Works great for putting around the yard doing circles and figure 8s using the leg with low impact. Now something else I have recently found out when riding it a little bit harder... You can crash these bikes just as bad as a big bike so dont think for a second a trials bike is any safer or better for you than a regular dirt bike :lol:

Get the bigger engine, you won't regret it.

I would add Sherco to the list of "Montessa, Gas Gas, and Beta"... all 4 are competitive. My research indicated NOT to get a Scorpa.

Get the newest one you can afford... I wouldn't go older than an '01 myself.

I would purchase a bigger bore model, as new as you can afford. Also, I would at dealer support, or ease of purchasing parts. Most trials bikes are pretty tough, but like anything, stuff wears out.

Someone pointed out the obvious that I had not thought about, and that is with trials bikes most of the riding is done standing up. Duhhhh !

With my bung knee I think sticking with an Enduro bike might be a better choice in the end. My Berg 570 has gone to a new home, and when I am fit enough medically (6 more months) I may end up on another Endro.

My choice is narrowed down to KTM350EXC-F

Purely because it will still provide plenty of power to keep me happy, but the weight is like that of a 250 (Nowhere near that of a trials bike), but more importantly, it has a decent enough seat that I can sit down most of the time and take the weight of my knee. I am so used to riding standing up, even on my Berg, that sitting down will take some getting used to, but at least I can still ride and enjoy being out with my mates.