Sign in to follow this  

Will a pipe guard from a FMF Fatty Fit a Gnarly?

FMFs have a very similar shape betwen designs. I just stuck the carbon fiber gaurd from a Fatty onto my Gnarly pipe. It fits... as in it stays on there and covers the pipe, but it's definitely a forced fit. The last bit on the uppr right outside has about a 1/4" gap. The old carbon fiber gaurd also has some rips in key area that probably help it fit better; I'm not sure if a new one would fit quite as well.

One the latest generation bike & pipes there's a lot of difference between the Fatty & Gnarly diameter, cone taper, and lengths. I've had both on my 05, the fatty is much larger in diameter in the mid section. I don't think I'd half-ass a guard for one onto the other.

Maybe the older bikes/pipes were closer to each other.

FYI, the gaurd came off a Fatty on a 2007, my Gnarly is on a 1994; FMFs are all close in shape... I did have to double up the clamp-length on the fat part to fit it. Close enough for me, but then again it was free too.

If you're looking to buy a new gaurd, get the correct one. If you find a used one and the price is right, make it fit.

Edited by NVDESERTKID
Because I can