Sign in to follow this  

2005 klx 300 R Question

I just bought a 2005 KLX 300 R .

I Just cant remember ,and maybe im wrong, if this is the year kawasaki changed the idler gear and decompression timing? Seems like I remember kawasaki changing these things. any help.? Brewster?

To my understanding Kawasaki did change the decompression timing in 2003, but im not sure on the idler gear.

Yup, ACR timing changed somewhere in mid 2002 model year. I wouldn't trust any year of KLX300 idler gears........check it! One of the problems with the gear is that it is splash lubricated.

Ride on

Brewster

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I have a 98 for parts with new idler if needed. I finally got lucky when i found this bike. This bike starts on first kick hot or cold and runs perfect . You could almost start it by hand. This bike has seen very very little dirt. both tires were slick knobbies... the side frame rails are'nt even scratched. The bike was sitting for 3 months. guy said it wouldnt start.. I was sceptical about purchase, bought it anyway ,it just looked to good ..and changed plug ( wasnt fouled , just wouldnt fire) and drained gas and installed fresh, oil , filter, and cleaned air filter ( for what looks to be the first time, wasnt bad though. ) fired rite up. first kick. 2 new tires on the way and im going to leave it stock....

When you say "almost start it by hand ", I hope your valve clearances are in spec. Might be worth a look.

When you say "almost start it by hand ", I hope your valve clearances are in spec. Might be worth a look.

If he had a valve clearance problem, the bike wouldn't start so easy. With the ACR timed in the "easy kick" position, a strong arm might be able to start it.

Ride on

Brewster

There is not any valve noise. ( well maybe just a little when its cold, typical). There is a little cam chain noise. ( small amount) . Ill replace the tensioner if it gets worst.

Im 6' and 185lbs and I did start it with my arm just to see if i could. Bike was warm. tdc and push hell out of it....

Brewster ..never heard of easy kick position...lol. and my thanks to both of you. . Its the easiest starting 4 stroke ive ever owned. and I ve owned a bunch.

I have a 1999 model which has had 8 previous owners so I am unsure of it's history. When it first came into my ownership it was a nightmare to start, especially when cold. The compression was not released when starting as it should have been and I'm sure that I must have lost gallons of sweat whilst kicking it over. After checking the valve clearances and finding them all to be correct I fiddled with and greased the ACR mechanism. Since then I have always been able to ''kick start'' the engine with my hand.