Sign in to follow this  

Saved this old CR from a barn last night!

New member here!

I picked up an old Honda CR dirtbike last night for a very good price... According to the previous owner it has been sitting for about a year, Bike was covered in all sorts of junk and I felt like I was on American Pickers when I dragged this poor old Honda out! To my surprize with some fresh gas/mix poured directly into the intake she fired right up!

I need help figuring what year this bike is... It's a CR80, The previous owner said it's a 1980s and that the top end was rebuilt last year with weisco piston and all the goodies (of course I can't confirm any of this since I haven't ripped it apart) But it sounded good when it started up so I bought it... Honestly I would have bought it even if it didn't start up because I felt bad for the poor bike! I've had several ATVs so I'm somewhat mechanical with the basics of the 2-stroke but I'm new to dirt bikes and Honda's in general.

He also mentioned that when the top end was rebuilt they didn't mill the head surfaces and when the bike gets hot it leaks coolant out of the upper seal of the jug. What can I do to correctly seal this enough to safely run the bike (for tune up reasons) until I can get the head into the shop? I'd like to run the bike and also get in some compression test and such before breaking the engine down if needed.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post!

-Mike

Here are some pics of the bike... I realize these cr80s have been made for decades and may be hard to date by a pic but even a ballpark range of age is fine if possible.

cr802.jpg

cr801.jpg

cr80.jpg

She needs a lot of cosmetic work but I don't mind a winter project. It's a small bike but should be fun to blast around on once it's finished. Also how's the gearing on this bike? (I assume it's 5 speed?) 1 down 4 up and where on this would Neutral be?... I'm used to my 500cc 4x4 Suzuki ATV which is simply 5 up. I can figure it out but rather not learn the hard way by sending it flying into my garage wall. haha!

-Mike

edit: I just found the sticky at the top of these forums and the bike looks to be an '83... So nevermind that question but still curious on the coolant leak concern. Thanks

Edited by mike213

Also, What's the correct oil/gas mix ratio I'd like a good amount to protect the piston/walls rather than a leaner mix for better performance...But not so much that I create a smoke show... I'd like a happy medium.... Any suggestions?

It's a 6 speed, 1 down 5 up, neutral is between 1st and 2nd.for the gas I think it's 32/1.

also wiseco pistons come with rubber coated gaskets that form to uneven spots, at least mine did not sure if they send the same gaskets every time tho.

it mixes 32 to one and i would change all the fluids sounds like you need a new topend gasket. and make sure you tourqe the head bolts to 20 ft pounds. the bike is from 85-90s because it is water cooled but it still has the all rd plastics i would say 86 but there good bikes. and yes it is a six speed

Thanks for the replies fellas... 32:1 it is then thanks!

About the top end gasket, Supposedly the top end gasket is a reusable type, He said the problem is when they went to seperate the top end cap from the jug/top end that they used a screwdriver and sort of knicked the mating surface so it leaks from that spot when hot... Any way to use some gasket maker or RTV sealant along with the reusable gasket to make a better seal until I can get the head surface milled ? It leaks from the up end near the top end cap not lower near the crankcase.

Also (REALLLLLY STUPID QUESTION) Can I use a bicycle tire tube in the front tire for now (not to ride or do jumps on, just to wheel it around the shop while working on it? The front tube is flat. (or could I use a bicycle tube patch kit if I can find the leak? I'm new to dirtbikes so excuse my noob-ness The many ATVs I've owned never had tube tires so I'm new to this :lol:

Thanks,

Mike

u could patch it but they just blow out none of that stuff works for dirtbikes ive tried patching tires sliming them fixer flat none of them work and topend gaskets arent reusable

They're copper head gaskets which I've heard to be reusable as well.... Then again maybe I'm wrong?

I should be yelled at! I looked at the bike yesterday in the light for the first time and smack in front was this.....

IMG_20111120_151654.jpg

A couple more pics of it... It's not too bad but definetly needs some cosmetic work...

IMG_20111120_151736.jpg

IMG_20111120_151744.jpg

IMG_20111120_151934.jpg

Maxxis rear tire anyone know what kind of Maxxis tire?

IMG_20111120_151720.jpg

Edited by mike213

Any tips on how to get that gas tank spray paint off without scratching the red plastic under it? looks like someone rattle can spray painted it a while ago it's peeling pretty bad,

it mixes 32 to one and i would change all the fluids sounds like you need a new topend gasket. and make sure you tourqe the head bolts to 20 ft pounds. the bike is from 85-90s because it is water cooled but it still has the all rd plastics i would say 86 but there good bikes. and yes it is a six speed

That is not an 86, not even close. It is 85 or older. I think his asessment of being an 83 is probably correct.

Edit: didn't see his pics until after i posted.

Any tips on how to get that gas tank spray paint off without scratching the red plastic under it? looks like someone rattle can spray painted it a while ago it's peeling pretty bad,

cheap, works perfect and doesnt harm plastic!

i used this on my 02 CR 250. The previous owner thought the rear fender would look better black, along with the airbox painted red.

remove the plastics from the bike, spray the remover onto the plastics *generously coating* wait 10 minutes, then rinse with a water hose.

let dry and repeat as needed.

hope it helps!

chris<pixelmonkey>:lol: