Sign in to follow this  

KTM 65 SX for Christmas

I am planning on giving my 10 year old son an upgrade from his Yamaha TTR-110 for Christmas and get him a KTM 65 SX. I was reading the pdf of the owners manual and had a few questions:

For pre-mix, it recommends Motorex Top Speed 2T, but for engine oil, it says Cross Power 4T. I thought this was for 4 strokes (like my 350 XC-F)- is this a typo, or is this ok?

I cannot find whether the stock pipe has a spark arrestor. We ride in areas where s/a is mandatory (not sure they ever check, but would like to be responsible). I am guessing the OEM pipe does not, and there is no endcap s/a (i.e. pro moto billet)? Looks like a new FMF silencer with s/a is about $120. Sound right? Any other options?

Finally, I'm considering a Rekluse clutch. Don't want to put one in right away and make him learn how to use a clutch properly, but don't want him to get frustrated either. Is this a bad move?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Overhopped,

Great bike, we loved ours. We ran Motul at 40:1

Engine oil we used Mobil 1 you get at Wally world and changed every other ride

The Stock pipe does not have a spark arrester. We ran FMF stinger.

I would skip the Rekluse for now. The hydralic clutch is very easy to use. I wouldn't worry about him learning, he will pick it up in a day of riding.

Lucky kid !

60:1 pre-mix is in the manual. I usually run 50:1. An fmf will fit on the stock pipe, so just the silencer is needed. Skip the rekluse. You can use ATF Type F for the tranny or 10w-40, just change it as frequently as necessary depending on how many hours you ride. You will need a 13mm socket and universal and hold the shifter up as high a possible. A bit of a PITA to change the tranny oil, but after a few times, no big deal. Also, get a needle from Dean at www.r1dean.com. It will save you a lot of fouled plugs. Good guy to work with and does a ton of 65 work.

60:1 pre-mix is in the manual. I usually run 50:1. An fmf will fit on the stock pipe, so just the silencer is needed. Skip the rekluse. You can use ATF Type F for the tranny or 10w-40, just change it as frequently as necessary depending on how many hours you ride. You will need a 13mm socket and universal and hold the shifter up as high a possible. A bit of a PITA to change the tranny oil, but after a few times, no big deal. Also, get a needle from Dean at www.r1dean.com. It will save you a lot of fouled plugs. Good guy to work with and does a ton of 65 work.

The needle Pax racing sells is the same needle and it's a lot cheaper. It's actually a stock needle all the tuners are selling but most of the them grind the numbers off.

A quick fix without buying the needle is to run the clip all the way to the top on the stock needle and drop the main down to a 200 and run the air screw at 1.5 turns out.

I tried AFT and the shifting was notchy so I went to the Hondaline 2-stroke gear oil in the red bottle or the Yamalube works really well.

Good luck and any questions PM me.