Sign in to follow this  

Florida L-Cross?

What's the general take on L Cross? I did a search on the forum and didn't find much.

Hopefully I'll be riding again in just a few weeks.

It can be fun but it can suck sometimes!They change the track sometimes and really screw up the flow.With that said I have also had some really good times there!I won't go back there due to the fact that I broke my leg there and I had some friends almost get hurt in the same section that I screwed up.

It is a lot better than it used to be. They do a better job with the track and do change it up so it does not get boring. People of all skill levels can ride the track. Anything you don't want to do you can roll. The do not break up the classes so you can ride anytime. They have a couple of flaggers and a person who will call for medical help if you need it. Not as organized as Thundercross or other tracks but a fun track.

Mark C

PS Hope you heal up soon! They also have trails there you can ride too.

Jay I ride Sunshine Mx on every other tuesday night, its the first track Ive ever ridden on and is very beginner friendly. I've never been to L-cross but from what my friends have told me it gets very mixed reviews.

BTW If you live where I think you said you live you should have eastbay mx right down the road. I've ridden there and is a great track with friendly people. It is more similar to what you see on tv though (big jumps and a steep whoop section).

Edited by camaroguy327
cant spell worth a darn

Thanks for the info.

I was looking at there trails.

My old arse is starting MX school after I'm back 100% at Eastbay. I've already spoken to them. It's nice because there just down the road.

My old arse is starting MX school after I'm back 100% at Eastbay. I've already spoken to them. It's nice because there just down the road.

Check out Raines Racing University. There is a class coming up Dec. 10-12 in Daytona. I am attending. Not sure if spots are still available. This class is less fitness and more MX focused that the "normal" class you see described on the website. They also have a standard class (as described on the web site) in January (24 and 25 I think??) in Ona, FL.

Will be my first time attending, so I cannot speak for the class itself. We'll see. I am looking forward to it.

Are there any MX schools that take old farts?:cheers:

I suck at MX! :lol:

Most schools are for those youngins who have no fear of breaking bones!:)

Went to Bostwick yesterday and did not make much progress on my MX skills. The track got pretty rough about the middle of the day. I did ride the HS trails and endurocross section a lot.

I mostly need "schooling" on jumps and keeping more momentum in turns.

Maybe I am just "too old"? :banghead:

Mark C

Man, I'm gettin skeered, all you youngin's (xcept Mark) takin' up MX schoolin' :lol::smirk::)

Seriously though if anybody wants to borrow some training tapes (Gary Semic) I have 3 and they have helped me a lot over the years (I still have my cheater card I made up and read it before every FTR MX race to refresh the important stuff in my mind before a race).

One thing ya gotta not do is go out and ride a MX track with no goal in mind (e.g. work on 1-2 things only, say cornering only or jumping into a corner and braking, etc.) cause if you try and apply everything you won't learn nuttin'.

Don:thumbsup:

I have a pdf of the Dirt Rider magazine article on Raines Racing University if anyone wants to look it over. Not sure how to post, so PM me an email address and I'll forward it to you.

Not sure if I was clear in my last post- his classes are normally all fitness based in the morning, then on the bikes in the afternoon. However, this class (Dec 10-12), at the request of those who arranged for Jason to come down (Ronnie Hames and the HBD Motografx guys, one of Jason Raines' sponsors) wanted to do a class with less fitness, more ride time, and more motocross focused (not just Hare Scrambles/GNCC focused).

The website is http://rainesracing.com/.

As they are sponsored by Yamaha, they bring a bunch of Yamaha bikes for people to try as well. Hope to play on a 2 stroke YZ 250.

I have a pdf of the Dirt Rider magazine article on Raines Racing University if anyone wants to look it over. Not sure how to post, so PM me an email address and I'll forward it to you.

Not sure if I was clear in my last post- his classes are normally all fitness based in the morning, then on the bikes in the afternoon. However, this class (Dec 10-12), at the request of those who arranged for Jason to come down (Ronnie Hames and the HBD Motografx guys, one of Jason Raines' sponsors) wanted to do a class with less fitness, more ride time, and more motocross focused (not just Hare Scrambles/GNCC focused).

The website is http://rainesracing.com/.

As they are sponsored by Yamaha, they bring a bunch of Yamaha bikes for people to try as well. Hope to play on a 2 stroke YZ 250.

I hope to be back on the bike by December 3rd. Stitches out in a few hours.:lol:

December 10th is probably a bit early to take a class.

I like the fact they focus on fitness. My mountain bike will be getting a lot of use soon. I'm determined to shed 20 pounds, and to get back into shape. When I met my wife I was 175 pounds. I'm now at 210. When I road street competitively I really believed my fitness edge, coordination (from sports) gave me a little bit of an advantage.

Let me know what you think of the class. It sounds good.

DonO - I am coming for you man! :):smirk::banghead:

You make a good point about setting a goal to work on one or two things instead of just doing laps (unless you are riding for conditioning only). Bostwick has a section that is a little like a SX track. A lot of turns into jumps and jumps into turns. I come up short on some of the jumps (tabletops) and Sean says I chop the throttle too soon. The XC also feels geared a little high for hitting jumps right out of turns. The old 450 4t had that bottom end pull that I don't seem to have on the 300. I am going to put in the "red" spring for the power valve (bike will hit harder) to see if that helps. I don't really want to change the gearing for MX since it seems to work so well for HS.

Funny thing I had Raines Racing as one of my bookmarks. I also have the Gary Semic videos but never seem to have time to watch them. DonO how about sharing your cheat sheet? :lol:

Mark C

Mark,

"DonO how about sharing your cheat sheet?"

Seriously, were you one of those students that "never" took notes in class?:)

The cheat sheet is nothing more than the major points of what Gary is stating in the videos (usually at the end of the video, like a summary).

Geez, you youngin's just want everything handed to you nowadays:smirk::banghead:

I'll be waiting btw!!!!!:cheers::lol::smirk:

Lets go to Mesa MX on the 17th or 18th and I'll see what I can help you with.

As with my KTM on the track you just ride one gear up and keep it moving.

Don:thumbsup:

Sorry for the L-cross thread highjack/offsubject crap but Mark started it!!!