2012 wr450

I will say that the WR is a little heavier and, with anyone over 170lbs, is under-sprung so the front end stacking up over high frequency bumps could be easily explained by suspension setup.

I think the 07-11 WR's are much more suseptible to this due to super crappy valving and soft springs, I haven't ridden the 2012+ WR's so I can't say for sure but suspension setup will most likely fix this.

Running the skiddish MX51 sure as he11 won't help! Get a Maxxis Desert IT

I have to agree with you... I've never experienced head shake ever on this bike.

This is also the best front-steering bike I've ever ridden. I've had had multiple comments about how it feels like "it's on rails" ! Especially once I got rid of that mx51!

At speed and with big hits, this is the most stable bike I have ridden. At a slower pace with smaller rocks and ruts it may feel a little harsh but you can soften up the compression damping if you like.

I agree, once I removed the stock tires it made a huge difference. I went with Bridgestone ED77 in the front and the Michelan enduro in the back when I'm not running a trials tire for single track. I did put a GPR on it because I already had one on my YZ I kept before sale. And it's mainly for the gnarly rock gardens at this new place we started riding last summer. But now it's been below 20 degrees for last two weeks and I'm really jonesing to ride.

Interesting hearing no one likes the stock mx51 up front, what exactly don't you like about it? Still have the stocker on mine, run 12psi most of the time without any complaints. Also have the forks raised in the clamps to match the machined groove. Headshake has never been an issue but deep loam on turn in is sometimes vague.

Interesting hearing no one likes the stock mx51 up front, what exactly don't you like about it? Still have the stocker on mine, run 12psi most of the time without any complaints. Also have the forks raised in the clamps to match the machined groove. Headshake has never been an issue but deep loam on turn in is sometimes vague.

I felt the MX51 was always skiddish and tended to "let go" with little warning. terrain and riding style have a lot to do with it but I never loved the 51.

• 2 weeks later...

+3

This bike steers beautifully, scrap that MX51 and get a Maxxis.

I purchased my 2012 WR450 in December, have done quite a few mods, but won't be riding till the snow/ice clears the roads (southwest Montana). I have seen suggestions for going with a better tracking front tire such as Maxxis. Has anyone ridden the Dunlop 952? Just asking because this guy recommends it : http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-sport-bikes/2012-2013-yamaha-wr-450r

I purchased my 2012 WR450 in December, have done quite a few mods, but won't be riding till the snow/ice clears the roads (southwest Montana). I have seen suggestions for going with a better tracking front tire such as Maxxis. Has anyone ridden the Dunlop 952? Just asking because this guy recommends it : http://bestdualsport...-yamaha-wr-450r

The 952 is my favorite tire for the rear. It tracks straight in the sand and has nice traction. It hooks up really well.

Form the front, I kinda like the mx71 when I can't find a Pirelli scorpion pro

The 952 is my favorite tire for the rear. It tracks straight in the sand and has nice traction. It hooks up really well.

Form the front, I kinda like the mx71 when I can't find a Pirelli scorpion pro

I have a race and about 8 hours of desert use on an MX71 front, love it!

Getting my suspension built soon. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Sending it to Recon MX in Vegas

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The profile is what I don't like, it's too flat/squared off. I swapped it for 90/90-21 and it's way better IMO. Turns quicker too. Seems to work pretty good everywhere I've ridden the PNW, and wear is good too.

That said, I may give the new AT81s a try when the current ones wear out.

I have a 2012 and had the springs changed for my 6'4" 225 lb  fat ass.....But I never did get it re-vlaved...I set the sag to 100mm and I'm 7mm on the front forks....I ride a ton of sandy whooped out trails in Michigan... .The smaller whoops I can handle at speed...The big 3 to 4 foot plus ones are my hang up......My buddies all rip through them but I suffer to keep up......Was wonder if re-valving the suspension would help?.....I spent a lot of time adjusting the suspension but I never seem happy with it...but...maybe thats just me....Or maybe it's the bike....I feels good in the woods...Well.....The front end feels heavy.....Have to really work to get the front tire up and over logs and big roots....Lots of the guys on here say they never re-valved and love the feel of the bike...so...maybe it's the bike and my longed ass?.....All my friends ride KTM but 2....Hell....Everyone in michigan rides KTM...I hate to drink the cool aid but...I'm thinking about it

• 2 months later...

I have a 2012 and had the springs changed for my 6'4" 225 lb  fat ass.....But I never did get it re-vlaved...I set the sag to 100mm and I'm 7mm on the front forks....I ride a ton of sandy whooped out trails in Michigan... .The smaller whoops I can handle at speed...The big 3 to 4 foot plus ones are my hang up......My buddies all rip through them but I suffer to keep up......Was wonder if re-valving the suspension would help?.....I spent a lot of time adjusting the suspension but I never seem happy with it...but...maybe thats just me....Or maybe it's the bike....I feels good in the woods...Well.....The front end feels heavy.....Have to really work to get the front tire up and over logs and big roots....Lots of the guys on here say they never re-valved and love the feel of the bike...so...maybe it's the bike and my longed ass?.....All my friends ride KTM but 2....Hell....Everyone in michigan rides KTM...I hate to drink the cool aid but...I'm thinking about it

Stock valving sucks in whoops IMO. good in tighter stuff. I had it redone by a shop in Vegas and it improved but not tremendously. Going to try again this summer.

As far as lifting the front end, to me this bike's greatest strength is traction - lean back and be gentle on the throttle and it is great for that type of thing.

Physics is physics is physics. You are a big boy and that is a big bike to pound thru the whoops with. And it is heavy on the front end. A quality revalve can help but do a LOT of homework before you go that route. You can waste a lot of money with the wrong guy. Good luck.

In the 450 enduro bike comparison below, the WR450 was rated the highest for suspension and handling and somehow the KTM 450 xcw still was chosen over the WR mainly because the strong motor..  The oem set up on the WR had the bike's power down in comparison to the KTM.  The competition kit fixes that.  IMO, any bike that wins across the board  in suspension and handling should win the contest.

The only issue I have with my WR is the weight.  It's heavy even after trimming 12 lbs off but I still prefer it over my KTM and other KTM's I've ridden for a number of reasons, handling and suspension being the most important followed closely by durability.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/13023/Motorcycle-Article/2012-450-Enduro-Shootout-Conclusion.aspx

Edited by Navaho6
  • Like 1