2012 wr450

Couldn't get mine to start or idle this morning. After much swearing, finally phoned the dealer - pull the cold start button on the throttle body! Starts fine now with a fast idle until you push the button back in - doh!!

We pay $13k here in Aus for a bike that you guys get for $8k!!! For the extra $5k we get about 10kgs of junk that has to be removed!!

Hey that sounds really dumb actually. Do you know what exchange rates are?

The WR was not designed primarily for racing. It was designed as an all-arounder for the average rider who might race at the amateur level. This is where the biggest market is for the WR450 according to Yamaha:

"Can you give us an insight into Yami's discussions about 'hard-nose' enduro bike versus all-round trailbike design purpose for the 2012 450?

Our market is so broad and we have to present a model that sits well with both the relative novice/casual trailrider through to the hardcore Pro who competes at the top level. We can't please everyone, but the higher number of customers will be in the recreational rider range. Of course, the top-level rider will always personalise their bike to suit their needs and riding style, and that is something both Geoff Ballard and I are very conscious of.

Regarding the situation of finding the balance, if we presented a bike that Ballard or I would take on a two-day adventure trailride, the majority of riders may hate the bike set-up. And if we presented a model that Matt Phillips would win on, weekend warriors would bounce straight into trees, as it would be too rigid. That's the reality of it and the YMC engineers are aware of this. They've got a range of test riders, including engineers and ex-professional racers so all rider levels are covered.

Yamaha is traditionally quite a stable platform with good traction, so we know we are quite safe with any tweaking that is carried out with things like steering. It was interesting when the alloy frame carbureted model was first introduced in 2007, a number of people said the motor was unexciting. But you can't go anywhere without traction and, while it may seem dull, wheel-spinning monsters don't go anywhere."

http://www.transmoto...THE-2012-WR450F

The pro class is so competitive, the riders need every advantage they can get. They could strip the WR of lights, kickstand, battery, and start replacing bolts with titanium ones, etc. and end up with a watered-down YZ or just start with the YZ and save all the work.

Here's Adam Riemann (fast Australian) on the MX vs. Enduro design:

thats an older video from before this model was released.. not saying it will not be the same for some.. but thats out of date info....from the reviews ive read its a much more competitive bike than the 'farm bike' it was... only time will tell... and of course rider, situation, skill leve..etc

We pay $13k here in Aus for a bike that you guys get for $8k!!! For the extra $5k we get about 10kgs of junk that has to be removed!!

Hey that sounds really dumb actually. Do you know what exchange rates are?

Today...$13,000 Aussie dollars equals $13,344 US dollars (Approx)

That ain't cheap!!

BUT..does the $13,000 Austrailian include taxes, license and the extra gear for mapping etc.

We all know that $8,000 US will not be an "out the door" price for a ready to ride model in the US.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I love Yamahas and have always had great luck with them. But c'mon. Throttle stops, ECU programers, new pipes, new springs, modified pipes, lean settings etc etc. My new 500 XC-W came off the showroom completely ready to roost. I installed the JD 6X controller for $200 to get more tuneability out of it and thing is spot on and rips. And weighs almost 20 lbs less. I'm sure these new WRs will rip once they are set up but who wants to go backward before going foward.

I think they are super aggressive to make sure they get EPA sticker... look what happened to Suzuki... but if you had bought a 2011 ktm 530 exe the list is longer and more of a pita... even the 2011 xcw needs help out the gate.. carb mods..exhaust plugged.. etc.. I have an '09 400 and it took some time and money to get it running right.. bottom line.. you are going to drop money on "upgrades" on any bike

on the flip side yamaha has the coolest, most easy to use efi tuner.. those things are sick! and cheap.. ktm you need expensive software and a computer..

having said all that the 2012 ktm look BADASS and seem to adress most issues... although plenty of efi gremlins.. if you look at ktm talk..

if i was to buy new.. would be a hard choice.. yammies are just so dead reliable.. dare i say indestructible?

it was a hard decision i was really leaning towards the wr because of the price difference but after hearing what needs to be done to the wr to uncork it im glad i went with the new ktm

I hear you, at these levels.. 10000+ would be hard from me to buy anything without a plate.. but thats because I live in california.. why , I dont know...

it was a hard decision i was really leaning towards the wr because of the price difference but after hearing what needs to be done to the wr to uncork it im glad i went with the new ktm

So, nothing has to be done to the KTM's to bypass the green sticker stuff? If not I would imagine they will have the hammer come down on them from the EPA like Suzuki did.

In my opinion $400 to uncork the bike ($300 for the pipe, $100 for the ECU) is pretty cheap. I did the spring and valve upgrade because i'm 230 lbs. and no bike would work for my size in stock form.

Today...$13,000 Aussie dollars equals $13,344 US dollars (Approx)

That ain't cheap!!

BUT..does the $13,000 Austrailian include taxes, license and the extra gear for mapping etc.

We all know that $8,000 US will not be an "out the door" price for a ready to ride model in the US.

$14k out the door in Australia!

If you don't want to purchase the ECU or you are waiting on it. Below is the throttle screw part number.

Appears to be a M5 x 7 socket head screw. I looked at Ace Hardware and they have M5 x 8 screws for 75 cents. So you would have to grind it down 1 mm. Looked like they did carry M5 x 7 but were out of them at the location I was at.

Didn't put a caliper or anything on these just eyeballed by comparison and holding them up to each other.

Part # 91317-05008

450_throttle_screw.png

bolts.png

Picked mine up this afternoon from Bobby J's Yamaha in Albuquerque, $8860 OTD with the GYTR ECU, radiator braces, skid plate, and pipe. I didn't pay tax/title/reg, so that accounts for the decently low number. They charged me $535 for the add-ons, $235 for the freight, and put everything on (including some cycra handguards I dropped off at the shop earlier in the week) for free.

The guys at the shop race YZ's and have played with the tuner quite a bit, and they told me to run with stock comp ecu numbers for now, as most of the published numbers tend to be off here at altitude--what do you all think? They told me I can stop by anytime and they'll hook up the tuner for free if I want to try other settings, but I'm not sure what to go with, and I'm sure I won't be until I get out and ride it all weekend...then I'll probably have to ask advice on settings based on my riding impressions.

I took it for a quick ride today, and it ran great...no problems kick starting, no popping, no noticeable "problems" with the settings as far as I can tell, other than it takes a couple turns with the e-starter.

I'll report back after I get out and ride it more this weekend...

• Like 1

Mine will arrive on Saturday! Purchased the tuner and ECU/throttle stop, but unsure of when they will arrive .... should I attempt to break it in before they come? I have read that you are supposed to ride it like its stolen to break in, but that seems difficult if you can't go past 1/2 throttle ....

Huh? what have you been reading?? I have NEVER read where any manufacture wants you to ride it like a raped ape to break it in...... Per the Yamaha Service Manual the break-in procedure is:

* Operate the machine in lower gears, at moderate throttle openings for 5 to 8 minutes.

* Check how the engine runs when the machine is ridden at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle (low to medium speed) for one hour.

* Restart the engine and check the operation of the machine through its entire operating range for about 10 to 15 more minutes. The machine is now ready to race.

Enjoy.

Picked mine up this afternoon from Bobby J's Yamaha in Albuquerque.......

The guys at the shop race YZ's and have played with the tuner quite a bit, and they told me to run with stock comp ecu numbers for now, as most of the published numbers tend to be off here at altitude--what do you all think? They told me I can stop by anytime and they'll hook up the tuner for free if I want to try other settings, but I'm not sure what to go with, and I'm sure I won't be until I get out and ride it all weekend...

Congrats xsnydx.... enjoy the bike. Mine didn't run very good with the stock ECU settings, so I used the "FMF Base" map and she came to life. I probably should have kept the stock settings in slot #1, in case I wanted to revert back to better fuel economy in the future, but i'm sure there will be a slew of FMF maps coming out in the near future as people start tweaking the settings.

Just got the bike back from getting the Rekluse clutch installed today, so it should be another fun weekend hammering the bike a little bit now that she's all broken in and the suspension is tuned.

RekluseClutch.jpg

Huh? what have you been reading?? I have NEVER read where any manufacture wants you to ride it like a raped ape to break it in...... Per the Yamaha Service Manual the break-in procedure is:

* Operate the machine in lower gears, at moderate throttle openings for 5 to 8 minutes.

* Check how the engine runs when the machine is ridden at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle (low to medium speed) for one hour.

* Restart the engine and check the operation of the machine through its entire operating range for about 10 to 15 more minutes. The machine is now ready to race.

Enjoy.

Controversial thought process, but I've bought off on it.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm