Sign in to follow this  

09+ 450 Boot Rub on # Plates?

I am thinking of buying my buddies 09 450R from him. I currently own a YZ450F.

I noticed with the way the side panels extend all the way to the frame, it looks like a set of preprints won't last very long with my boots rubbing on them as I ride all day..

Anyone had any issues with this? Any way to keep the preprints looking good ?

Maybe some grip tape over the preprints??

I know its only cosmetic,and somewhat trivial, but I maintain my bikes to the book and like to keep them looking mint.

Sort of a pride in ownership thing..

Any input is greatly appreciated..

I had an 09 450r with pre prints & the right side seems to take a beating along the bottom edge. Little gouges, bugs me to i just cut out those areas. Left side no problems. I've got an 012 with 11 hrs right side doing same thing. Pisses me off!

You could put some clear over the top then just replace it now and then.

yea, I'm thinking this is the best way to go.

I tried the clear and it peeled off pretty fast. I didn't try wrapping it around the bottom all the way to the back of the side plate. I used some pretty thick 3m 4" wide tape that my buddy got that they use on airplanes. It seems pretty durable, but my kid is pretty hard on that stuff.

Edited by Charlie C

could always ride slow and crappy with bad form like me and they will look new forever =)

Haha.. Thats a bit too extreme for me.

Anyone else....There has got to be a good fix for this...

Nope, they look worn fast. At least people know you ride.

I've had this trouble ever since I switched over to Gaerne SG12's. New graphics last about 2 rides and then they are all peeled back when I come in.

Yes, I have Gaerne SG10's, and the black grip pads on the boots wear quickly into graphics.

i have the same trouble with my 2011 i wore through the plastics completely.you can get bracket thingys that bolt to the subframe bolt and protect the side plates where your boot rubs i cant think of what there called but.