Sign in to follow this  

DR350. Upgrading electrics

Hi All.

I'm interested to know if there is any way of increasing the output of the DR350 charging system. My model is the SEX. I'm thinking the only way will be to replace the stator with one of higher output, but where from? Is there anything off a different bike that will go straight on? Off one of the DR400 models perhaps?

All ideas appreciated.

Geoff

Is there really no-one who's had to replace a DR350 stator with one off another model? If I can find out what other ones fit, then that will be good enough. C'mon guys, ideas please!

Thanks,

Geoff

Hi All.

I'm interested to know if there is any way of increasing the output of the DR350 charging system. My model is the SEX. I'm thinking the only way will be to replace the stator with one of higher output, but where from? Is there anything off a different bike that will go straight on? Off one of the DR400 models perhaps?

All ideas appreciated.

Geoff

I have never felt a need to upgrade my SEX stator , I can run a 90 watt heated jacket and heated grips along with lights with no problem.

If you are just looking for a replacement because yours has gone bad then best stay with the SEX type because if you go to other models then you will have to do a fair bit of wiring to make it work.

I have never felt a need to upgrade my SEX stator , I can run a 90 watt heated jacket and heated grips along with lights with no problem.

If you are just looking for a replacement because yours has gone bad then best stay with the SEX type because if you go to other models then you will have to do a fair bit of wiring to make it work.

Thanks for that info Shearboy, it's exactly what I wanted to know. The fact that you can run three heavy consumables and still be able to charge the battery is great to hear. I was worried whether running heated grips and the headlight might lead to a discharged battery. If you can run both of those AND a heated vest with no problems then an upgrade will clearly not be necessary. I'll just stick to getting an HD battery.

Thanks again,

Geoff

Thanks for this info Shearboy. The fact that you can run three heavy consumers and still keep the battery charged up gives me the confidence I need. I'll just settle for a HD battery.

Geoff

Thanks for this info Shearboy. The fact that you can run three heavy consumers and still keep the battery charged up gives me the confidence I need. I'll just settle for a HD battery.

Geoff

Geoff I actually use a Shorai battery which seems to handle things really well.

I've never heard of that make so it sounds like a USA product. Anyway, there'll be one I can get for it here. Thanks again for the info.

Is the electrical system on a DR350SE more heavy duty than on the DR350S? If I wanted to run more electrical devices would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a DR350SE stator since it might make more juice since it has to run the electric start also?

Kentbiker, you maybe want to look into the Shorai batteries! I bought one from Carrot cycles, very expensive but the output for the size is not something that can be matched by a lead battery and it only weighs a few 100 grams compared to kilos on the lead one.

I'm looking to buy Oxford Heaterz for my DR350SE with pumper carb. It looks like these are pretty universal but does anyone know if they will fit my bike(i don't actually have it yet)? They seem to be set up for a push/pull throttle, if that matters. 

Is the electrical system on a DR350SE more heavy duty than on the DR350S? If I wanted to run more electrical devices would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a DR350SE stator since it might make more juice since it has to run the electric start also?

I am pretty sure the s and se stators are the same. both are street models with batteries. they came with turn signals horn headlight and taillight and a stator to power all that. have you hit the limit of your stator?

The S and SE stators are different in the sense that the SE has two trigger coils for the CDI and the S has only one. The actual charging coils (which are physicallly part of the stator assembly but completely separate electrically from the ignition components) looks the same but may or many not have the same output. It only has to keep the slightlly larger battery (6ah vs 4 ah) charged. The e-start requires no current except when starting and the battery supplies all of that.

The best way to judge how much electrical load your stator you can support is to install a voltmeter. Charging voltage should 12.8 - 14 volts at road speed. It varies all the time due to the charge state of the battery and electrical load. FWIW back when my S model had a battery (has capacitors instead now) at idle it could barely keep the voltage in positive charge state with only the original equiptment lights. It would actually drop to 12.6  or less (battery voltage) if the brake light and/or turn signals are operating while idleing. So, there's not a great deal of excess capacity. That said mine will run 35 watt heated grips and my Tourmaster electric vest on about the medium setting when moving and still stay in a positive charge state. With the grips on high and vest on high the voltage drops to below 12.6. Since the S model is kick start and the magneto is separate from the charging circuit it doesn't really matter if the battery goes flat on those. But it matters a lot on SE models since there is no kickstarter. No battery - no go.

I have 2 dr 350 both dirt model. But one of then the shifter rubs the stator cover and the stator is noticeably wider off the bike.... The po installed it not me so I believe there is an upgraded stator out there but I have to bend out new shift levers

Edited by motoguy94

The dr350 dirt version and street version have different stators.  The street one is pretty beefy.  I was able to use my dirt stator and convert the lighting circuit to DC current using a Baja designs reg/rec.  It requires floating the ground on the stator and  re grounding the Cdi (its pretty Easy).  I run a small NiCad battery  charged by the lighting circuit and allows me to have headlight, turn signals, running brake light, brake light and a horn.  All of my lights are LED except my headlight, its a 35W halogen.  A big difference form the stock 55W headlight.  There are ways to install a street model stator, but that seems like a headache.