Sign in to follow this  

Vapor Tach not working rpms are totally pegged

Guys I've searched and searched and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tried 3 different methods and my tach is just pegged out and doesn't change.

First I had the red wire going to the spark plug wire and the black I ran to the negative lead on the batter.

Second I tried the red on the coil spade connector and left the black on the negative lead of the battery.

Third I tried the red on the coil spade and the black on the black and white wire that went to the coil.

Everyone seems to have used this method and but its not working for me, really want to get the tach working, but not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Also there are setting in the vapor for pulses per minute and things like that. I left them default and I'm wondering if all I need to do is change those settings?:lol:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

Mine is wired, red on the coil spade connector, black to ground.

Mine is programed as follows:

Step 1

Pulses per revolution, screen shows PPr 01

step 2

Pulses per revolution, screen shows PULSE, is set to 0000

Try those settings.

Those are the default settings which is what I have too, but that doesn't seem to work. its realy frustrating because i've tried what other people say worked for them, but its not working for me and its driving me crazy. is there something else I could be missing? when i first start up the bike it seems like the tach is working because its showing 0 to 500 rpms then as soon as i give it gas it pegs out to 10000 rpms and stays there? anything else that could be causing this issue?

Mine is also set to the default settings and it works fine. 500RPMs is way off. Mine idles at 1750 RPMs give or take 50 RPMs. You may need to contact the manufacture.

Mine is also set to the default settings and it works fine. 500RPMs is way off. Mine idles at 1750 RPMs give or take 50 RPMs. You may need to contact the manufacture.

yeah i think i'm gonna give them a call on monday.

thanks

Just an update for anyone following this thread that might be having a similar issue. I called trail tech and did some quick troubleshooting over the phone. They said to disconnect the power from the battery and sure enought the tach was workin perfectly. The guy said that they have had issues in the past where there is a ground loop causing feedback for the tach since they share the same return. It was late so they said to call back on monday and they would help some more, I guess the fix is to put a diode or something in line. I will post again once I talk to them and get everything fixed.