Sign in to follow this  

tame a cr80

Hi all

my lad has got a cr80 and ive been having a go at him for some time to open the throttle and let it have some. However, I had a go today and its like a caged monster.

the bike chugs along abit then when the power valve kicks in, it kicks in in a massive way,making the think really difficult to ride.

has anyone got any advice on how I can tame it a bit and make the power a little smoother. Im not sure what jet it has in it but it does have a DEP exhaust so I think maybe putting a factory one on might be the first think.

thanks in advance

hey mate,

i'd look into a flywheel weight, gearing it taller (not sure if this is the correct terminology, but put a smaller rear sprocket on, it will give it more top end so it doesnt wind out as quickly) and making the jetting richer. go up a size or two on the main and it will soften the hit out but dont go so rich that it fouls. the short wheel base of these things makes them seem alot more pipey then they are.

if you've got the money, you could snap up another head and have a tuner open up the dome to lower the compression as well.

Once he gets used to it though, he'll want more power!

I remember riding a newer cr85 of a friends when I had my CR250 when I was 17 or so..almost broke my leg because the thing wheelied up on me lol

Hi all

thanks for that, I dont think the cost of the flywheel weight can be justified, but I think that changing the rear sprocket is a good thing to try.

Hi all

thanks for that, I dont think the cost of the flywheel weight can be justified, but I think that changing the rear sprocket is a good thing to try.

I had a KX80 when I was about 13 or 14 and when I first started riding I was afraid of it.....it took a few months but when you ride enough you get used to it. He's gotta develop the muscles in his arms and some hair on his gonads but he'll get there

Well all found a really simple and cheap solution.

get a washer and put it in the exhaust manifold. the bottom end power is increased and the bike as a whole is a lot smoother.

I must admit I got about 4 washers and drilled them out to different sizes but the bike is totally different and my lad now loves it

thanks for all your help