Sign in to follow this  

1993 upgrade suspension

Well I am trying to update my 93 CR250's suspension. I have been studying what can be done and so far I have gotten a 1996 CR250 shock from ebay which Im going to rebuild and use because it has the hi-speed comp adjuster. Havent tested it on the bike yet.

It was about half full of oil when I got it and hasnt been rebuilt before, so stock shims still (peen on shaft).

Does anyone have any opinion on the stock -96 shock? stiff, sloppy, or ok?

I would rather have it stiff than sloppy. Im going to ride mostly mx-tracks. Also the stock spring on the -93 (Showa) is a 5.0kg, but stock on -96 (KYB) is 5.6kg?? Why is that, arent the 92-96 more or less the same frame/bike?

I am also planning on getting some twin chamber forks for this bike. I really dont like the 93 forks. Even though I put stiffer springs and heavier oil in them they're still too sloppy but really harsh on high speed hits. Anyone have advice what model/year forks would be best to get? (CR/CRF Showas?)

Thanks!

The stock 1993 forks had extremely soft springs, as you found. That probably accentuated their tendency to "blow through" the stroke. I found them harsh enough to hurt my palms even in off road riding.

I just swapped some 2002+ dual chamber forks onto my 1993. The complete forks / triples / steering stem will bolt onto the steel frame with the addition of a simple washer shaped spacer. I made the spacer on a lathe, but stacking two or three fender washers would work. It's a simple spacer in compression, so there are no strength concerns. The alternative is to use a 1996 lower triple clamp and a 2002+ upper clamp, but you'll need a thin shim wrapped between the fork tube and the lower triple.

You'll need a later model front wheel with the 2002+ forks.