Broken Foot, Boot Question

Hey all,

I had a low speed crash a few weeks ago that broke 3 metatarsals.

I basically high-sided, and got tossed off the bike. I landed on my stomach, with my toes in the ground, and my heel straight up. The bike landed on my heel, and broke my foot.

I have cheap Axo boots. Do you all think that good boots, ie. Alpinestars

Tech 8/10s or Gaerne SG10/12s would have kept my bones from breaking?

I want to get a real set of boots, but some of my friends say I was just unlucky, and my foot would still be broken with nice boots. I have read tons of the boot posts, I just want to know what you all think of this situation.

Thanks for the replies!!

Isaac

One of those may, or may not things. You can never go wrong with good boots, but nothing can save you from all scenarios.

From your description of how the bike landed on your foot, you may have still gotten some sort of injury, no matter what kind of boots you were wearing.

But there's the possibility that high end boots could have minimized the injury more.

High quality protective gear is ALWAYS $$ well spent.?

hell ya tech 10s would have saved you. Go to a store and physically examine the boot. Pay attention to the contruction especially around the heel area where you took the hit.

Like olhillbilly said no one can know for sure, but can only speculate. Just go put a pair of tech 10s on your feet and you'll feel the extra protection instantly

Thanks for the replies.

I dont think that my boot was loose. I was wearing thick socks cause its cold, so they were tight.

The soles of my boots seem to bend alot easier than a new set of Alpinestars that were at Cycle Gear, but my friends said that is because they are new. Once they are worn in they will flex also.

When I bend the sole on my boot, it gives in the same place I got the breaks on my foot.

I am getting some nice boots. Walking on crutches sucks!

Isaac

I'm sorry to hear about your foot injury, hope you have a fast recovery. My SIL had a similar injury from busting thru a berm and now has many screws and pins in one foot, ten years later and he still has problems walking.

Foot protection is a problem, I keep upgrading my boots after each foot injury and finally ended up with Sidi Crossfires. The problem was along the way I used some lesser plastic boots that were so stiff I couldn't walk, which often occurs during a trail ride.

Now the dilemma is do you want a boot that is tactile enough to operate the controls and walk in, or a boot that provides more protection but walks like a ski boot. If I could get a sole with more traction on my Crossfires I would wear them more for trail riding.

It's impossible to say for sure that a quality boot would have saved you from injury in that particular crash, but it's certain that a quality boot will provide much better protection than a cheap boot.

If you want something that will last, don't buy Tech 10's. Go with Tech 8's or Gaerne, Sidi... there are a lot of good companies that specialize in boots. I have Forma boots and like them more than my old A*. They are stiffer (more ankle protection) but the feel is still good. I'm not sure if they're available in the US though.

isaac g hope you heal quickly im sitting home 5 weeks with same injury as you 4 broken metatarsals have all the same questions i had brand new sg12 sitting home had fox forma pros on when i crashed wonder if it would of made difference

ssanddemon

you've had same injury how is foot now did you have surgery

as stated, you can never be sure what would happen however, you can be positive a better boot will provide better protection.

I am older now but do remember what it is like to be broke and playing expensive sports. Here is my take-- forget $100 levers, exhaust, graphic kits, 'dress up' items and the latest jersey/pants. Spend your limited money on the items that will protect you first, hop up the bike second. Top shelf for helmets and boots and your body will thank you. It is not as much fun, but you will have more fun in the long run.

heal up fast

Thanks again for all the replies.

I am getting some SG10's soon. I know that fluky things can happen, but it is better to be prepared.

I have my 2 week follow up appointment on Tuesday. Hopefully the bones are healing up. I have been walking on the heel of the broken foot here and there, and the Dr said not to put any weight on it. I am stupid.?

I cant wait to get riding again!!

Isaac

i was doing the same walking w/ the air cast on i cant sit still for 8 weeks ill go insane now 5 weeks in ill walk around my house bare foot im suppose to be non weight bearing also i actually put my riding boots on and kickstarted my bike so no i dont think your stupid remember (pain is pleasure punishment)?

ssanddemon

you've had same injury how is foot now did you have surgery

No, but I wish I had. The doctor I had said it was a toss-up whether or not to get into the joint on my big toe; it was pretty roached from hyperextending before the bone behind it broke. It's still swollen kinda like a bunion but at least it quit hurting to walk on after about 5 years. I do need to stretch out my right shoes and boots though to make room for the swollen joint.

My best advice to you guys is to get surgery EVERY TIME its an option after an injury like this, you don't want to be dealing with years of pain or getting surgery on it later after it's healed up badly. And for god's sake don't walk on it for a good long time, let it heal. I was walking and riding just as soon as the pain let me and now I wish I hadn't!

A more expensive and higher quality boot wont save your foot from any type of crash. I broke a metatarsal for my big toe and the three of my three middle toes wearing my SG10's. Although in the crash, I know my ankle/leg/knee got pretty twisted and a broken ankle is the injury the hinged boots really excel at protecting. I have no clue if I would have broken my ankle in cheaper boots, but I'm still glad I have SG10's and a broken foot is nothing compared to a broken ankle.

I tried to drive a tree branch through my shin Halloween night, resulting in a broken fibula and big laceration, but my Fox M5 boots saved my ankle. I was on a 700 Raptor, with stock pegs and heel guards, which effectively pinned my foot in place while I hyperextended my knee. My ankle is still swollen and purple three weeks later, but I didn't break any bones in my foot or ankle. A big thumbs up to Fox M5's.

Sorry to hear about the broken foot...To areas I feel its better to high dollars for....Helmets and Boots. Helmet is obvious...we need our heads...but our feet take a pounding everytime we ride. I have owned Tech 8, SG-10's, and now I run SG-12's. In my opinion, the Gaerne's are way better then Astars. Way more comfort and a they feel more supportive. I would do Sidi's as well...I read somewhere they are better for thinner footed riders....I am not that, so that is why I went with the SG-12's