Sign in to follow this  

Wet Weather Riding Gear?..

Did a search and came up with pretty much all dual sport, heavy, semi street, stuff.

Does anyone make good water proof (or at least resistant) off road, MX style gear? Doesn't necessarily have to be cold weather gear (can wear under layered garments to deal with cold), but need a water proof outer layer for dealing with drizzle days out on the trail. Can't do with plastic rain suit things as the tree branches and such will shred it in one ride.

Thanks.. Tom

We spend 9mos out of the year ridin in the rain. For particularly wet days, I currently use the 2011 Thor Ride Jacket...the ARC jacket from Rocky Mtn is equally water"proof", kinda amazed at that thing. For pants, my favs are the 2005 Thor Ride pants...the ones with the belt. The newer versions are ok, but kinda baggy feeling. Recently I fell in a high mtn lake wearing the Thor Ride combination above...complete submersion, then trudged 10yds to shore in waste deep water. Although water seeped into my Sidi Crossfires, everything from just below the knee up to my chest was dry. I was rather amazed...and very cold. Seal skins have valor.

We spend 9mos out of the year ridin in the rain. For particularly wet days, I currently use the 2011 Thor Ride Jacket...the ARC jacket from Rocky Mtn is equally water"proof", kinda amazed at that thing. For pants, my favs are the 2005 Thor Ride pants...the ones with the belt. The newer versions are ok, but kinda baggy feeling. Recently I fell in a high mtn lake wearing the Thor Ride combination above...complete submersion, then trudged 10yds to shore in waste deep water. Although water seeped into my Sidi Crossfires, everything from just below the knee up to my chest was dry. I was rather amazed...and very cold. Seal skins have valor.

I was looking through RMATV and noticed the ARC jacket and pants. Looked pretty good and reasonable price too. Have you tried the ARC pants, or just the jacket?

I'll go have a look at the Ride stuff too. Thanks!:lol:

I haven't seen the ARC pants. The jacket however has been abused by about everyone I know. I think a buddy has it right now. :lol:

It's cheap, light, and has taken a beating. I've been out all day in a PNWet rainforest and been happy with it's performance. It folds up into a pack that attaches to your waste. The Thor Ride jacket is a bit heavier, and I use my elbows to pound through brushy singletrack. The ARC seems to take the equivalent beating, but isn't as thick of a material. Thor makes a Pack Jacket that I carry in the springtime. It's just a shell, and works well. MSR makes a pack jacket, and I've gotta couple Acerbis enduro jackets I like as well.

Ya might look at KLIM. I've got some Dakar pants that I really like...but they are pretty heavy...tough. I've also gotta snowcross jacket I like from them.

I've been meaning to start a thread like this. I'm fairly happy with just layering shirts under my jersey, regular riding pants (w or w/o polypropelene long jongs) and cold weather Thor gloves. I use some good MSR socks that keep my feet fairly warm, but damn, 3-4 hours of wet feet blows. I spoke to one guy who wears thin chest waiters with thin neoprene feet, which seems a bit much. What are you guys wearing for socks, or what methods to keep feet dry? The puddles are often airbox deep this time of year here in the NW.

Seal Skins waterproof socks work well in most situations.

Thanks, I'll check those out

Did a search and came up with pretty much all dual sport, heavy, semi street, stuff.

Does anyone make good water proof (or at least resistant) off road, MX style gear? Doesn't necessarily have to be cold weather gear (can wear under layered garments to deal with cold), but need a water proof outer layer for dealing with drizzle days out on the trail. Can't do with plastic rain suit things as the tree branches and such will shred it in one ride.

Thanks.. Tom

Until today, I was still looking for the exact same thing but to be used as my thin outerwear. Just got through trying on leftover stock from 2010, 2011, and new 2012 gear coming out including Klim Traverse, all the latest Thor, Fox, some MSR, Fly Patrol, Troy Lee, Acerbis, Daianese, Leatt and so much more I can't ever remember now. I've specifically been looking for light weight, less bulk, LOTS of VENTING, waterproof or highly water resistant, MX-enduro type design with room for my own Fox pads and chest protector underneath. After returning a few items this week, this is my next (and hopefully) last on my list to try. Should have it in a week or so. MSR seems to have stepped it up a notch, and I came close to buying the Klim Traverse and decided on this instead. Definitely seems more dirt-enduro oriented and less like a snow mobile outfit. Hopefully this will be it. :lol:

MSR X-Scape (2012) edition:

00_HP_11_LL_X_Scape.jpg