Sign in to follow this  

2011 ktm 250 sxf.....is this a reliable bike?

have a chance to buy one of these bikes on tuesday ....just would like some advice if this is a solid bike or should i go with something else?

Let me be the first. KTMs are very durable. They are very refined and you will see that the motor is bulletproof. I sometimes get nervous with the FI threads but I feel that those have nothing to do with the reliability of the motor and the quality of the bikes themselves. Have fun Tuesday:ride:

What's up with the fuel injection issues

Some folks have had issues with their injector plugging. I've got an FI 350 with no problems. I installed one of these http://www.split-stream.com/products/splitstream-fuel-filter-honda-crf-kawasaki-kxf-ktm-sxf-efi for good measure. Keep your fuel sanitary, keep your gas cap on and clean, then I doubt you'll have a problem.

I bought one last month because it was over 1000 cheaper than a '12. its a solid running bike and not hard to start once u get used to giving it short slow kicks. biggest complaint is the forks are wayyy too soft. tried adding oil, didnt make much of a diffence. im eager to send the forks out over the winter and then i think it will be much better. rear shock feels great. im 180 w/o gear btw and ride C. some other things, i came off a honda 250r that i loved. i miss the 5spd, i dont believe a 6spd is necessary but i like to shift as lttle as poss. I plan on going down a tooth in the front and up 1-2 in the rear. a guy at the track gave my brother and I alot of insight on these bikes and some troubles. there is a recall on the countershaft bearing and bar clamps. the tps on the throttle body is fragile and can be broken by power washing if not careful. the shock bolts loosen more frequent then normal. theres a bearing in the linkage thats been known to seize, apply anti-seize to it and re-grease everything with good waterproof grease of your own. the rear wheels are very soft and spokes loosen more frequent then normal.

I have heard you can't.get the fuel injector wet while washing the bike,is this true?

I believe the 12's come with the TPS cover/boot, I added one to mine. I don't hesitate to blow thru mud holes or streams and I wash it like my other bikes with no problems at all. I don't use a power washer on my bikes.